What Malt Extract To Pair with Mr. Beer Kits.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey55

Reaction score
Hey,

I posted this in the Mr. Beer Thread, but I think all the Mr. Beer posters have taken an early vacation. ;)

I'm planning going to the LHBS in the morning and was hoping for some feedback.

I just bought a 3 pack of Mr. from Amazon for $29 and was wondering what type of malt extract should I pair with the kits. Dark? Pale? Light? ??

High Country (Canadian Draft)
Whispering Wheat (Weizenbier)
Octoberfest (Vienna Lager)

I'm planning on using the LME in addition to the booster to give a higher abv.

Thanks,
E

are you asking dry malt or liquid malt, and either one is going to depend on the style beer you are trying to achieve, and the style mr b u are using

Oh. LME.

As far as style... You got me.. I just got the kits that I listed above. It's like you're speaking a different language to me.. ;)

E

Jollytim just answered my question in the MB thread..

THANKS..

Now I'm off to the LHBS.. :D

E

I created a pretty decent Oktoberfest using the Mr. Beer Oktoberfest HME as a base. I added a pound of amber dry malt extract (northwestern extract, I believe), steeped a half pound of grain for flavor and body (.25 lb Munich 10L, .18 lb Melanoiden, .12 lb Vienna) while the water warmed up, added some Tettnang hops during a short 20 minute boil (1/4 oz for 20 minutes, 1/4 oz for 5 minutes), and tossed in 1/4 cup local clover honey at the end, for a standard Mr. Beer 2 gallon batch.

I'll admit I still didn't (don't?) know what I was doing when I created this recipe, as it was my third attempted batch ever. However, it came out quite tasty: malty, with not too much bitterness, a slight floral aroma, and a beautiful rich color. I fully intend to finish off the last two bottles this weekend. :mug:

Latest posts

Back