2 gallon cooler versus 5 countertop mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonescole

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Which cooler would you get to partial mash in countertop style? A 2 gallon, or a 5 gallon and what is the benefit of one over the other aside from internal space? I have no plans to go all grain in the near future, due to space issues in my apartment, so I am simply looking to get the best partial mash cooler for countertop mashing that I can. I can see that the 5 gallon rubbermaid coolers come with premeasured markers and the 2 gallon does not, but it seems for about 4 to five pounds of grain it may be too wide and the grain bag would not be immersed good enough. However, would the five gallon allow me to add more grain and water and then I would not need as much DME, or LME, or will the rest of the space in a 5 go to waste and cause temperature drops. Thoughts please.

Thanks,

Bonescole

Hello everyone,
Which cooler would you get to partial mash in countertop style? A 2 gallon, or a 5 gallon and what is the benefit of one over the other aside from internal space? I have no plans to go all grain in the near future, due to space issues in my apartment, so I am simply looking to get the best partial mash cooler for countertop mashing that I can. I can see that the 5 gallon rubbermaid coolers come with premeasured markers and the 2 gallon does not, but it seems for about 4 to five pounds of grain it may be too wide and the grain bag would not be immersed good enough. However, would the five gallon allow me to add more grain and water and then I would not need as much DME, or LME, or will the rest of the space in a 5 go to waste and cause temperature drops. Thoughts please.

Thanks,

Bonescole

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

Check that out. Bobby M made it and it's what I used to find out what cooler to buy. I don't do PM any more, but I know with any cooler you use for a MLT you want to have minimal head space b/c it's easier to lose heat that way. I'd say that if you used 5 lb's of grain (which is kinda a lot for PM) and at 2 quarts/lb <--(Also more than I think you would ever do,) you would have 2.5 gallons of water with 5 lb's of grain. I'd say the 5 gallon one may be overkill. Do they make a cooler in between 2.5 and 5 gal? I'm pretty sure that a 2.5 gal would work great for what you're trying to do.

Idk if I would go through all this for PM. I may just use the pot in the oven method.
I'm sure someone else will chime in and give you some better info.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

Check that out. Bobby M made it and it's what I used to find out what cooler to buy. I don't do PM any more, but I know with any cooler you use for a MLT you want to have minimal head space b/c it's easier to lose heat that way. I'd say that if you used 5 lb's of grain (which is kinda a lot for PM) and at 2 quarts/lb <--(Also more than I think you would ever do,) you would have 2.5 gallons of water with 5 lb's of grain. I'd say the 5 gallon one may be overkill. Do they make a cooler in between 2.5 and 5 gal? I'm pretty sure that a 2.5 gal would work great for what you're trying to do.

Idk if I would go through all this for PM. I may just use the pot in the oven method.
I'm sure someone else will chime in and give you some better info.

I am going by the BYO article which was calling for 3.5 to 4 lbs of grain to substitute for the 3.3 lbs, or so, of dme, or lme. It calls for a 2 gallon cooler, which is 9 dollars right now so its super affordable and easy and a step up from all extract. I was looking to follow the article exact and just use the cooler not nescessarily make a MT. I have read DB's partial mash with pics, and it calls for two pots and a nylon grain bag, which is as simple, but which one has better effeciency? They seem very similar in process. One calls for tea bag and the other is soaking and pouring water over.

I would not sweat the details mashing 3-4 lbs of grain, no huge efficiency issues regarding a 1/2 pound of grain either way. Basicly you just need to mash at proper temp, and then rinse the remaining sugar from the grain. For 3-4 lbs of grain you could mash in a pasta pot and just stick it in a warm oven to maintain temps...then drain the grain w/ a colander...add sparge water, mix, and drain again w/ a colander...or a mesh bag. If you want to build a cooler mash tun, either the 2 or 5 gallon should work well.

RDWHAHB...don't overthink it...efficiency is more involved than using a 2, 5, gallon cooler, mesh bag...the crush?

Just go for it and build on your mistakes.

I would not sweat the details mashing 3-4 lbs of grain, no huge efficiency issues regarding a 1/2 pound of grain either way. Basicly you just need to mash at proper temp, and then rinse the remaining sugar from the grain. For 3-4 lbs of grain you could mash in a pasta pot and just stick it in a warm oven to maintain temps...then drain the grain w/ a colander...add sparge water, mix, and drain again w/ a colander...or a mesh bag. If you want to build a cooler mash tun, either the 2 or 5 gallon should work well.

RDWHAHB...don't overthink it...efficiency is more involved than using a 2, 5, gallon cooler, mesh bag...the crush?

True true. I have done a bunch of extract "kits" and they just seem to be easy mode. I guess it is better to fail trying something hard, or harder, then always accomplishing something easy...that is how I feel anyway. I am just going to give it a try and see how it comes out. I am sure I will make beer regardless. If it is total poop then it will be some private stock poop I guess. I think I will re-read both DB's post and the BYO article to take as much info from both as possible and make my decision on cooler size, versus another brew pot next batch.

+1

If I were you, I'd go to walmart and buy a big enamel pot to mash in.

Just get your water up to temp (around 150-165) and mash in.
Put in an oven that's been preheated at the temp you want and leave for an hour.
When you're done, Just rinse the grains off with some sparge water and begin your boil.
Boil for 60 mins.
Last 15 mins turn off heat and add Extract.
Return to a boil and finish just like you would do an all extract batch.

Like he said, RDWHAHB. This stuff really is as easy as it sounds.

J

I use a 5 gallon pot, 6lbs grain and 2.5 gallon mash water and it barely fits in the pot. I would say if you are using a 5 gal cooler you could get 3 lbs of grain and probably 4 gallons of hot liquor but Im thinking 2 gallons would be to small for 3 lb grain and any amount of water.

I just did a partial mash in my 2 gallon cooler and i fit 4.83lbs @ 1.33qts/lb and filled it basically to the brim. a 2 gallon will hold just about 5lbs max with a ratio of 1.25qts/lb.

my 5 gallon cooler (rubbermaid, is actually 5.4 gallons) tops out at around 13.5lbs of grain.

I just did a partial mash in my 2 gallon cooler and i fit 4.83lbs @ 1.33qts/lb and filled it basically to the brim. a 2 gallon will hold just about 5lbs max with a ratio of 1.25qts/lb.

my 5 gallon cooler (rubbermaid, is actually 5.4 gallons) tops out at around 13.5lbs of grain.

Do you have a bulkhead (ball valve or something) with a manifold on your cooler?

Actually I pretty much did the same thing. I just had to find different parts because the hole in the 2 gallon cooler is actually a different size than the 5. It workes great though. I'll post pics tomorrow morning.

Actually I pretty much did the same thing. I just had to find different parts because the hole in the 2 gallon cooler is actually a different size than the 5. It workes great though. I'll post pics tomorrow morning.

Yeah, post em up.

I used to do PM's with a 2 gallon round cooler. I replaced the stock valve with a ball valve and used a large paint strainer bag to line the cooler (based on Deathbrewer's easy partial mash instructions). This was just the right size for my 3 gallon boils. I made some very good beers with this setup.

Funny, now that I'm AG-capable, I kind of miss the old PM days (brewing inside, nothing heavy to lift, always hit OG thanks to extract, etc.). Maybe this winter I'll do a couple more when it's too cold outside.

Thank you all for the replies/discussion on this. It's all great information and confirms the 2 gallon cooler as my choice, unless I decide to go with the additional pot on the stove. I am not at all happy with the colors of my extract brews, which I know late additions can cure a bit, but I also want to incorporate more grain than extract. Pretty much like DeathBrewer says "cutting the cord". questions about the nylon bag, I plan on using the paint strainer bags from my local HDepot, will they work as well as the stainless steel brain in the bottom, or should I just make a mini mashtun?

Either the braid or grainbag will work fine...hell you could prabably lauter w/ an old felt hat if ya had to...git er done! Rather than the equipment, perhaps concentrate on hitting temps, thorough rinsing/sparging of the grain, and crush. If you hit those points...equipment is secondary.:mug:

Either the braid or grainbag will work fine...hell you could prabably lauter w/ an old felt hat if ya had to...git er done! Rather than the equipment, perhaps concentrate on hitting temps, thorough rinsing/sparging of the grain, and crush. If you hit those points...equipment is secondary.:mug:

Sweet!! I am going to do a honey blonde ale next, so I am hoping I can get the color as close to "blonde" as possible using this method and late addition for the extract.

I have been looking into this same thing for the past few weeks. My local target carries the 2 & 5 gallon coolers and as someone said the 2 gallon is $9. However, if you needed a bit more room than the 2 but less than 5, there are in fact in between sizes. I found a few 3 gallons on Amazon that might work well for some people. Posted the links below. Obviously, it all comes down to how much grain/water you plan to use.

Gatorade® Thirst Quencher Coolers - 3 Gallon

Rubbermaid 3GAL Orange Water Cooler

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking into this same thing for the past few weeks. My local target carries the 2 & 5 gallon coolers and as someone said the 2 gallon is $9. However, if you needed a bit more room than the 2 but less than 5, there are in fact in between sizes. I found a few 3 gallons on Amazon that might work well for some people. Posted the links below. Obviously, it all comes down to how much grain/water you plan to use.

Gatorade® Thirst Quencher Coolers - 3 Gallon

Rubbermaid 3GAL Orange Water Cooler
These are great finds, but on the expensive side in comparison to the 5 gallon. I wonder if I can have target, or Lowes special order one for cheaper. I am not sure why the rubbermaid cooler 3 gallon is more expensive than the 5. Regardless I am going to start with the 2 gallon for my partial mashing and use a grain bag, unless I can get this one for cheaper. Thank you for the links.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have originally said either the 2 or 5g cooler idea would be fine, but I kind of like the pasta pot or enamel pot idea for the PM. It's simple and you can definitely maintain temp in a warm oven.

I would have originally said either the 2 or 5g cooler idea would be fine, but I kind of like the pasta pot or enamel pot idea for the PM. It's simple and you can definitely maintain temp in a warm oven.

It seems there is a 50/50 divide on the cooler versus the enamel pot and what I am gathering is that either way you are going to make beer. My next step is putting together some recipes and giving either one a try. I think I am most partial to the cooler because I have the smallest stove on the planet and two larger pots are very tight. IDoes the efficiency go up any with stirring the grain in the pot versus soaking in the cooler? I know someone already posted that effeciency doesnt matter with PM very much, but just want to make sure that I cover all my bases here.

Personally, my oven doesn't go down to 150F. I think it only goes down to 200 or 180ish or something like that.

Also, go around to some local secondhand or thrift stores. I found my 2 gallon cooler at a goodwill for $5.

You can actually take one of those folding steamer baskets and put it in the bottom of the cooler to be a false bottom. I've heard it works well and I'm going to try it on my next one. Other wise, the grain bag would work, you would need to pull it up slightly otherwise it will block and clog the spigot.

Personally, my oven doesn't go down to 150F. I think it only goes down to 200 or 180ish or something like that.

Also, go around to some local secondhand or thrift stores. I found my 2 gallon cooler at a goodwill for $5.

You can actually take one of those folding steamer baskets and put it in the bottom of the cooler to be a false bottom. I've heard it works well and I'm going to try it on my next one. Other wise, the grain bag would work, you would need to pull it up slightly otherwise it will block and clog the spigot.

Yeah, office clips (the metal type clothes pins) to hold the bag up.

Back