Wyeast Smack Pack Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
I decided to try this for once. I had it sent from NB to here with an ice pack. It came room temp, but looked fine.

I'm brewing tomorrow and it says to smack it 6 hours before brewing. I'll be brewing first thing in the morning. Is there any problem with smacking it right before I go to bed, say 8-10 hours before brewing?

I hope I'm not sorely disappointed with these smack packs, or I'll be hopping in the car and driving the 30 mins. to pick up new yeast.

Orpheus said:
I decided to try this for once. I had it sent from NB to here with an ice pack. It came room temp, but looked fine.

I'm brewing tomorrow and it says to smack it 6 hours before brewing. I'll be brewing first thing in the morning. Is there any problem with smacking it right before I go to bed, say 8-10 hours before brewing?

I hope I'm not sorely disappointed with these smack packs, or I'll be hopping in the car and driving the 30 mins. to pick up new yeast.

No problem at all. I've let mine sit out for over 24 hours, and I've pitched in as few as 1.5 hours from smacking. They're pretty fool-proof and I've never had a problem with it.

You should generally figure on giving them at least 8-10 hours for maximum results.

yeah, smack it the night before and leave it in the kitchen sink (I had one once that expanded enough to split a seam and cause a small amount of mess on the counter).

If it hasn't blown up like a balloon my morning, you'll know to either not brew or get different yeast before you do.

That is all I have used so far, as I am to lazy to make a starter from used yeast. But I suppose that extra 13 bucks a month I spend on 2 smack packs could be used for something else.

Yeah, I like to smack it before bed as well:ban:

Reverend

there are 2 sizes of the smack packs. If ya get a 50ml smack pack you are going to want a starter. If ya get a 125ml smackpack ya dont need a starter but some here will swear the world will come to a end if ya dont make one.

This is one of those "can o' worms" topics so you should get a ton of replys

Pumbaa said:
there are 2 sizes of the smack packs. If ya get a 50ml smack pack you are going to want a starter. If ya get a 125ml smackpack ya dont need a starter but some here will swear the world will come to a end if ya dont make one.

This is one of those "can o' worms" topics so you should get a ton of replys

LOL yeah and it had better be at least a 6 gallon starter for a 5 gallon batch. OK so I exaggerate..............

Anyway, I don't really care for the smack packs. If it is an older package, it could take awhile to swell (kind of like the rest of us :cross: ) and that could throw a monkey wrench in your brewing plans........

I think to some extent it depends on the Beer you're making.
Higher gravity beers will want the Yeast to get a head start.

PLENTY of people have pitched dry yeast in to Wort and ended up with Beer.

Back