Honey as a sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UYLDAR

Reaction score
Can honey be added as a sugar before, during or after primary fermentation to increase alcohol as in making a dubbel?

If so what would be the best procedure and time to add?

Thanks
D

Absolutely. I made a Berlin Wheat and didn't come anywhere close to my efficiency and ended up with a 3.5% ABV beer. I just waited until right after high krausen and poured 16oz of clover honey right into the primary - wow did that yeast take off. Since it was a wheat, the slight honey flavor worked out well.

If you add it to the boil, even for a few seconds, you can eliminate all honey FLAVOR and just retain the sugars. No need to boil though, bacteria does not live in honey. It does ferment out pretty good though and will dry your body out on the brew a bit.

Thanks.

I will add it right before I cool my wort next time and see how much flavor is imparted.

D

Honey leaves a pretty noticeable flavor and mouthfeel. You'll definitely be able to pick it out. I suggest adding it only after the wort has cooled below 140°F.

Back