Prohibition era hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M

Reaction score
My wife’s uncle recently gave me this hydrometer. It belonged to his father (her grandfather) who used it when he brewed beer during the prohibition.

01229.JPG

Here is a closer look at the scale - labeled percent mash and brew tester 60°F.

01126.JPG

Now I’m looking for window box type frame to safely display this treasure.

Very cool. Be careful with that thing. I'd hate to see that roll off the table and smash on the floor.

My wife’s uncle recently gave me this hydrometer. It belonged to his father (her grandfather) who used it when he brewed beer during the prohibition.

01229.JPG

Here is a closer look at the scale - labeled percent mash and brew tester 60°F.

01126.JPG

Cool.

Score some old bottle caps or labels and make a display in your shadow box.

Gawd, man, protect it at all costs. What a treasure, especially since you know the history. I'd make, or have made a special display case for it as you say. I'm envious as you can tell....:D

Thanks for posting that, talk about a really cool connection to the past of both brewing and family.

Back