Carbonating kegs 2 ways?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo2112

Reaction score
Now I understand, and have done forced carbonation, just haven't really been happy with it every time. I think it is a matter of getting the pressure just so, and time.

Now I have a keg that a "naturally" carbonated with priming sugar, let it hang out for 8 or 9 days now, and would like to get into on Sunday, thing is, I am pretty dang sure that isn't enough time for a good carb to develop.

So, has anyone ever started with a natural carb, and then forced it for a day or two in order to perk things up? I would hate to overcarb and get nothing but foam out of this thing.

At some point I am going to get a fridge/freezer to use so I can just carb under pressure at a slower rate, but that might not happen for a few months.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Now tha
t the sugar is in there, it will taste pretty sweet until it gets all fermented even if you do get it carbed right

I have not tried it but I think I disagree (slightly) with Parker. If you used the correct amount of keg priming sugar (2.5 oz), I don't think it's going to add much sweetness to the keg. I can't see why it wouldn't work but you may have to play with the pressure to get your "hybrid" carbonation and pour correct.

That is what I am doing now. Last night, I was blowing off a ton of foam at first, with all of it in the head, without having forced any CO2.

5 mins ago, after letting it sit under pressure out in the garage ( 35 to 40 deg) I had really no head at all, but tiny little bubbles. Still, not what I was looking for, but they were there. I am going to pack it in ice and let it just sit for the day under about 21 lbs of pressure, with periodic samplings to check quality.

Did you trim the dip tube a bit? If not, you may get a foamy pour off the bat with the sediment. Mmmm.

Back