Anyone in Central MA with a small functional lab?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
I'm looking to find if someone does what White Labs does on a very small rudimentary scale to bank yeasts. Not so much to store them but more to identify, grow, isolate, etc. If per chance a nice wild yeast was found I would love to keep it for longer periods of time. Just an inquiry is all :mug:

Storing in the back of a freezer with 10% glycerin works well for me. I wouldn't think you would have to do cryogenic freezing unless you are considering storing the yeast for decades.

As for identification, there are a couple PCR tests for finger printing yeasts. I could send you a couple of papers if you are interested.

How long have you done storage in the freezer with good results? Amount of yeast to store an issue?

I'm not too interested in the storage aspect as I am in the isolating the good from the bad. If a wild sacc/Brett/ was mixed with an aggressive companion I would want to preclude it. I guess I should stick to my simplistic ways as that makes me more happy. Just pitch and move on from generation to generation.

Woodlandbrew, if you don't mind sending pdf's on 'em that'd be great. I'll pm my email.

Taken from the first link I jest.... :)
".....allowed us to discriminate 23 biotechnologically important strains of the yeast Saccaromyces cerevisiae and to distinguish them from strains of S. pastorianus, S. bayanus and S. willianus."

Taken from the first link I jest.... :)
".....allowed us to discriminate 23 biotechnologically important strains of the yeast Saccaromyces cerevisiae and to distinguish them from strains of S. pastorianus, S. bayanus and S. willianus."

Here is a good paper on PCR:
http://femsle.oxfordjournals.org/content/221/2/249.abstract

And Siebel offers PCR testing for about $100 when I asked. You'll have to contact them for details, but here are the services:
https://www.siebelinstitute.com/services/yeastmaintenance/

Latest posts

Back