thinking of making this my first partial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin

Reaction score
but i cant seem to figure out what EKG hops are

Olde ' 77
Name Olde ' 77
Description Big holiday/Winter beer
Added by Robb Chunco
Date Submitted Sun, 29 Dec 2002 10:52 PM (GMT)
Ingredients

* Wyeast #1084 -- Didn't use a starter...You should.
* 4# Maris Otter pale ale malt
* 5# Munton's light DME
* 1/2# UK chocolate malt
* 1/2# cara-pils
* 1/2 UK Crystal 50-60ºL
* 2 oz special 'B' malt
* 1# orange blossom honey
* 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
* 1/2 tsp grated + 2' stick cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
* < 1oz fresh grated ginger
* 1 oz UK northern brewer 8% aau (plugs) - 60 min
* 1/2 oz UK EKG 5% aau (plugs) - 60 min
* 1 1/2 oz crystal (pellets) 4%aau - 30 min
* 1/2 oz UK EKG 5%aau - 30 minutes
* 1/2 oz crystal steeped

Preparation
Mash @ 150º for 1 hour. Mash out @ 168º for 10 minutes. Sparge with 2 3/4 gallons 170º water. Top kettle up as much as you can-- I boiled 4 1/2 gallons. Dissolve DME, bring to boil. After foam subsides, start hop schedule. Add spices for last 10 minutes, and honey for last 5 minutes. Chill, top off fermenter to 5 1/2 gallons, and pitch yeast. Rack off of trub 10 hours later and ATTACH A BLOW-OFF TUBE!!! This baby's gonna blow off like an sonofab*tch! Be sure to keep emptying your blow-off container too, I had to do mine every 4 hrs the first day! Age at least a month and a half before sampling. This is a big beer, and needs plenty of time for the flavors to mellow and meld.
Specifics
Style Winter Beer
Recipe Type Partial Mash
Batch Size 5 gallon
Original Gravity 1.093
Final Gravity 1.020
Boiling Time 75 min
Primary Fermentation 14 days/glass
Secondary Fermentation 14 days/glass
Other Specifics Approximatley 9.5-10% ABV
Comments
Color is a deep garnet-brown. Warming alcohol aroma with subtle spiciness from spices and late hop addition. First flavor impression is hard to pinpoint... A tiny hint of spices, followed closely by rich maltiness and warming alcohol and chocolate flavors... Rich caramel and chocolate notes follow and then into a bright honey sweetness. Finish is long, with a honey-spice-caramel-EKG grassiness. Very complex. I love this beer, and will most certainly be making it again next year--maybe a bit earlier in the year to let it age a bit more.

do you think i could cram all that grain into a 5 gallon tun? if i purchase brewsmith will it give me the water volume i need for mashing.

It's only 5 and a half pounds, so yeah, you can fit that with room to spare. Pretty much any software will give you the volume. Hell, you can do that yourself! I always figure a little more than a quart of water per pound of grain for the strike liquor. Who needs software for that! :)

Bob

Back