Lager Yeast for Barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrettig

Reaction score
Hello all...I'm thinking of doing a barleywine by just racking onto a yeast cake from a previous batch, but I'm about to do a light lager so as to have it ready for warm weather. Wondering if there are any lager strains which, having just fermented out a fairly low-gravity beer, could handle a 1.10-or-so barleywine? I don't care if the fermentation for the barleywine takes a long time since I'm not looking to drink it until the weather turns cold again next fall.

Thanks!

Your talking about taking a yeast cake from a lager and using it in a Barleywine--an ale, correct? I'm sure the yeast would be able to do something, but not sure if the results would be what you are looking for. I've heard of some people using lager yeasts for ales, at ale temperatures, to increase esters, but never with something that massive. If you try it, post the results back here.

Back