Beer smell burns in nose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablosanjari

Reaction score
Hi all! Little new guy help please!
Bottling and brewing today after consistently checking my fg the past few days
The brew looks a bit clearer and tastes great but it almost burns on the nose, a really sharp smell that makes you pull away fast!

Any ideas what my problem is?

Thanks

Are you smelling it in the fermenter? If it's burning your nose from the fermenter, well thats what happens when you get a snoot full of CO2 :).

Are you sticking your nose in the bucket? The burning "smell" could just be the CO2 laying on top of the liquid.

CO2 -- will specially high right after opening the lid, or if your smelling it from a carboy.
if it tastes great then it will be great beer bottle/keg it!

Yeah guys that exactly what I'm doing. Haha yeah I now officially feel like an idiot but saying that, an idiot that has just learnt an important lesson.
Thanks for your fast help, now I can bottle and get back to the black ipa on the stove top.
Thanks again. Have a good one!

Don't feel like an idiot, I am sure most have done that. In fact, I found this post after searching for a reason that I just had the same experience! haha :drunk:

No worries, OP. Lots of people burn their nose hairs off with CO2, then make panicked posts here. Completely normal set of events.

After my last brew was in the ferm for a day or two, I opened the bucket up, and it looked odd. Not much krausen or anything. I was scared and was afraid it was bad. I stuck my head way down in the bucket and inhaled deeply. :eek:

It felt like I was gonna die. But it tasted okay. :mug:

After my last brew was in the ferm for a day or two, I opened the bucket up, and it looked odd. Not much krausen or anything. I was scared and was afraid it was bad. I stuck my head way down in the bucket and inhaled deeply. :eek:

It felt like I was gonna die. But it tasted okay. :mug:

Keep your face above the level of the beer or you're going to contaminate it. Wait until you take a hydrometer sample to do the tasting.:D:ban:

I had this happen to me on the first batch I made in my fermentation chamber (chest freezer). I stuck my head in there to see if the stout had taken off yet (it had) and took in a deep breath. For a couple of minutes I thought I had damaged my lungs.

Once I stopped hacking and sputtering I logged on here to ask what the hell was going on. So join the club, there's a lot of members:).

It's a lesson many (or all) of us learn, I am more notable for sniffing the airlock and although most are unremarkable, there are a few brews that waft some incredible aromas while fermenting. The Irish Red was like crack, wife was expecting to find me passed out from too much CO2 vapors.

I'm giggling here because I've done this waaaay too many times. Can't resist taking a deep whiff of my fermenting brew and get a snootful of yeast farts. Which would be a great name for...something. Damn Friday night home alone with nothing but my own beer to keep me company!!!

Back