Well crap..got a bad bottle of Sublimely Self Righteous, mine tastes better!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jughead

Reaction score
Well as a lot of brew lovers here, I love Stone's XI/Sublimely Self Righteous! I've had my take on this bottled for just over a week, and was in a Market of choice (great selection by the way, they have a sign of Pliny the Elder on the wall w/ an arrow pointing towards in or out, it's usually out :cross:). I saw one lone bottle of Sublimely Self Righteous screaming on the shelf for me to take it home. I was very excited, SWMBO was understanding, I thought I would wait till mine had sat a few more weeks to do a side by side. But Dammit, it was calling my name. So I cracked a bottle of mine, cracked the Righteous, and oh, what the hell is that smell (from the Righteous), very metallic aroma. I have had this beer before and loved it (obviously) but this one had some funky metal smell/taste going on! I let it decant for bout 1/2 hour, the metal faded but was still there. I proceeded w/ tasting, recalling on memory and fighting through the metal numbing taste. Mine is not quite as "hoppy" and a lil roastier, but you know what, I like mine better! I spaced it when brewing and added a full pound of carafa, so I knew it would be a lil roasty, but I think my take on this is a lil more balanced! I am very bummed about the bad bottle of Stone, but will take is as a one off bad bottle. I have posted my recipe in the various Stone XI threads, but let me know if interested and I'll gladly share, good day all....Drunk by noon, but that's ok, cause I'll be president someday....:mug:

Well, after jumping the gun and opening a few bottles for friends/family (most of them having had Sublimely, and remembering what it tastes like) they really like my take on this. I feel honored and satisfied in my endeavor. Def a repeat brew in my quest to find one's worthy of repeat.

Back