Just put a whole bottle (1oz) of Fermcap in a 15 gal. boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nohup

Reaction score
Didn't mean to.
The dropper was plugged, and when I squeezed it harder, it asploded.

Not much else to do after that. When some of it coalesced on the surface, I scraped it off, but there's still a ton of it in there.

Hopefully between the break in the kettle, and the trub in the fermenter, I won't have too much make it to the finished beer.

As a note, there are 4-500 drops in an ounce, I was only trying to put in 30 drops. Probably put 10-12 times that much in

I'll post back after it's fermented.
Wish me luck.

You may want to use additional finings once the beer is finished. The reason why you are only supposed to use 1-2 drops per gallon is due to FDA requirements on amount of silicone in food items, I believe.

It should settle out over time, but I would be extra careful with this and make sure to get that beer as clear as you can, and don't stir anything up when racking. Even then, if you have head retention issues, I am not sure if I would even drink it at that point. I am a bit paranoid though, I suppose.

You don't even need to do the full 30 drops for the 15 gallons. I always use 10 drops for all my batches that start between 13 - 15 gallons. I do aggressive boils and never have an issue with only 10 drops.

Johnw, This was my first time using fermcap. I could see just 10 drops being enough though. Before the top popped off, I put one drop in there while the boil was starting. Just a single drop was enough to clear the whole surface of foam.
One drop probably wouldn't have been enough to stop the hot break and hops foam, but I was amazed at how much one drop did to clear the surface.

Oh well... the Nottingham is tearing through this batch now, It should be ready in another few weeks. I'm drinking this one no matter what.

Back