Moving a Berliner Weisse to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkintosh

Reaction score
I have a Berliner that is in primary that is about 12 days old right now. I pitched with WL 630 Berliner Weisse Blend. I usually move my beers to a secondary after primary fermentation has completed, but I was kind of contemplating moving this one and "infecting" one of my good glass carboys? What are your thoughts?

Glass is darn hard to infect if you're cleaning it properly. Oxyclean and a scrubbrush has been fine for me. Personally, though, I would just leave it be in primary until it hits a point where you want to bottle.

Ya, that is what I am thinking I am going to do. Just checked the gravity and it is already down to 1.008. So it shouldn't be too much longer. One thing that I really noticed was that there was some serious sulfur smell going on! It tasted light and slightly tart.

same yeast blend here on one of my BWs... got down to 1.005, which considering i went slightly higher than style, kind of pissed me off (4%). it's been sitting for about 5-6 weeks and will sit for another 3 or 4 before i bottle it (primary only) - it also had a massive sulfur smell that completely went away after a couple of weeks.

slightly acidic, tart and pretty damned refreshing. looking forward to over carbonating this bad boy and having a nice quaffing summer beer... should be ready by august i guess and only get better in the bottle...

the other one i have is just boooring. i'm going to bottle age that one and see what happens. if nothing else, its a great light beer. lol...

Back