Hot/Cold climates - not becoming acclimated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Given no other choice, which type of extreme climate would you prefer?

• Extreme Heat

• Extreme Cold

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheLastDamnBatch

Reaction score
Having lived in both extreme hot/humid and extreme cold/dry climates I don't know which is worse!

The overbearing heat or the blasting cold! Right now I'm living in the cold!

I don't like either one to be honest. It's always a back and forth... would rather be warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot.

Ideally one would have a residence in two places for the summer/winter thing, but some of us can't do that... yet...

I believe I adapt better to the hotter climates if there's air conditioning (or some relief).

If moving to a moderate climate wasn't an option, which would you prefer?

Cold.

I can always put more clothes on. If I'm walking to work and it's sweltering there comes a point where I'm as stripped down as I can get without breaking laws. Not so in the winter. I can dress up as the Stay-Puft marshmallow man if need be.

It also helps that I was raised in Montana so cold seems to agree with me better.

Lived in Memphis, TN for the first 16 years of my life and have now lived in eastern Washington for the last 14 years and I'd much prefer the hotter of the two. The prolonged winters of E-Wa make it tough on the psyche sometimes. It's never fun waking up to snow in June. The high temp on the day of my bachelor party was 49°, June 17th 2010.

Cold for sure. You can dress for the cold but get arrested for undressing in the heat :D

That and you know how hard it is to go snow machining with no snow.

snow machining

I had to chuckle at this; I've only ever heard it called SnowMobiling*. Fun as hell no matter what you call it I guess.

* - Provided you are using a snowmobile, you can also use trucks, tractors, 4x4's, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, etc...

Give me HEAT! I'm not just saying that because it's winter.

I can't stand the cold!

I grew up in New Orleans (hot and humid) and I love hot/humid summers! As long as I don't have to wear a suit and tie! You can always spray off with some water when outside or get some A/C or a fan. My muscles and joints feel great when I'm sweating...they feel terrible when cold! I'm 145 lbs soaking wet and 7.5% body fat. Us skinny guys do not do winter!

Try working on a car when your hands are frozen...you will have bloody knuckles in no time when you slip because you can't feel what you are doing!

I am a motorcyclist and love outdoor activities and this compounds my hatred of cold weather.

COME ON SPRING!

I love playing in the snow, but I HATE being cold.

I live in the desert now and I would give anything to get out of here but I think would love rather live here and in the frozen tundra of the north. Heck, I'm comfortable working outside up until it gets to about 105F.

Either way though, I think I can get acclimated pretty easily.

Are you working outside in the cold? I did two winters outside in New York and that was enough to convince me to move to North Carolina. The heat and humidity in the summers are tough, but you can stay hydrated and work earlier or later in the day to avoid the peak.

I've lived and worked in Alaska and I currently live and work in the Caribbean.

I don't mind winter down here and I didn't much mind summer up there. The extremes both suck but I much prefer the weather down here. I can handle being sweaty some of the time. Much better than dealing with ice and snow.

(I'm from San Diego which is pretty much perfect mild weather year round)

I'll take the heat. I love an excuse to go swimming and dress light. Frozen cars and the kids can't play outside without an hour of prepping them? No thanks.

Give me HEAT! I'm not just saying that because it's winter.

I can't stand the cold!

I grew up in New Orleans (hot and humid) and I love hot/humid summers! As long as I don't have to wear a suit and tie! You can always spray off with some water when outside or get some A/C or a fan. My muscles and joints feel great when I'm sweating...they feel terrible when cold! I'm 145 lbs soaking wet and 7.5% body fat. Us skinny guys do not do winter!

Try working on a car when your hands are frozen...you will have bloody knuckles in no time when you slip because you can't feel what you are doing!

I am a motorcyclist and love outdoor activities and this compounds my hatred of cold weather.

COME ON SPRING!

I too am from New Orleans. So if by cold, you mean an average winter day in New Orleans of about 55 degrees, then sure, that is great weather. But if by cold, you mean dealing with snow more than 2 days out of the year, F@@@ that. The only time I mind sweating is wearing a suit also.

I wear shorts and short sleeves year round in Arizona. People make comments, I just laugh.

I see people wearing shorts and flip flops sometimes in VA in the winter even when it's around 32F outside! I don't understand how you can do that comfortably as I would freeze to death...but then again most people I see doing this are a bit high on the BMI charts if you know what I mean.

Winter is the one time of year I wish I were a fat!

Back