Midwest Supplies.. Good Kit??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so I received a coupon good for up to $25 from Midwest and I'd like to get a kit before it expires. I'm certainly in love with ales and would like to find a really good kit.

Partial Mash/ Extract with steeping grains is most preferred. Good bitterness (higher) is mo betta.

So.. what have you brewed and really like?

My second brew was Midwest's Boundary Waters Wheat. It was a very nice American wheat beer. Perfect for the spring/summer.

The only other Midwest kit I've used was their Autumn Amber. That was good, but nothing special.

The only Midwest kit that I have brewed is the Porter. It was my first brew ever, but I think it came out tasting great.

All of my kits have been from Midwest. They've all turned out well. I'm about to bottle boundary waters wheat for the second time. My friends drank the first batch. Ive also brewed cream ale, oatmeal stout, and an IPA. They are priced well and have a good variety. I've been pleased with them.

I have brewed both there amber ale and fuggles English IPA. If your looking for beers that are higher in the IBUs (hoppiness) don't get either of these two unless you want to add more hops but that defeats the purpose of theses kits.

I hear there other IPAs are good and in the medium IBU range for the style.

Hope this helps.

I've done several. Pumpkin Ale, Holiday Ale, Irish red and Hank's Hefe were all good. The Holiday Ale was the best when aged 6 months.

Belgian Honey was undrinkable initially. It's mellowing. I'm going to try it again in May.

Bourbon barrel old ale is promising. Brewed it in November. A month in the primary, 3 months in the secondary with oak chips and vanilla beans. Bottled it last weekend to drink in May. Tasted good going into bottles.

I have ordered several kits from there and have not been disappointing in any of them. I also found that many of the comments left are spot on and some also have some recommended additions to the recipe. I think they put together great kits but read the comments because with anything some can always be a little better!

Excelsior Altbier. I have brewed 19 kits from Midwest and while I have not been disappointed with any of them the Altbier was my by-far chuck it down my throat as fast as I can favorite.
It was so inspiring that is the only kit that I looked at all the ingredients and had them assembled at my local shop to recreate the Midwest kit with locally acquired ingredients. I have not had the chance to drink it yet but am crossing off the days until it makes it to the front of my 9 batch pipeline.
Excelsior Altbier from Midwest *drool*

I made their Furious IPA clone kit last summer. It was probably my fourth or fifth batch and it turned out great. I think it was kind of expensive though.

My favorite Midwest kit so far is their Irish Ale.
Bittersweet, roasty without being ROASTY, silky smooth, very fresh. MMMMmmmmm. Use Wyeast Irish Ale 1084.
Pez.

The best one I've had from there is the Amarillo Pale Ale. I think it is listed under their specialty beers.

I did their Hop Head IPA extract + steeping specialty grains kit and it came out awesome. Also added 8oz of maltodextrin but it probably didn't need it.

The Altbier is one I'd love to do. If I remember correctly, it uses an ale yeast. For some reason, I thought Alt was a lager type. More research. :) now I know... Ale

Today I bottled their All Fuggles IPA. It was pretty tasty out of the bottle bucket. It's not an over hopped IPA. It doesn't even use dry hopping. I'm guessing that is because of the earthy flavor/aroma of fuggles.

Back