help needed quickly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of the brew, and just realized my sachet of S-33 dry yeast expired in January (exp 01/11)

I really wanted to use this yeast in this brew, so I don't know is it smart to pitch it?

I also have some fresh S-04 but I wanted some change....

do you think I could pitch one sachet of expired S-33 and pitch some more S-04... ? what flavor profile would I get with this blend of yeasts?

the expired yeast was stored in the fridge all the time, and I believe it was stored properly....

I just made a batch (about a week ago) using pasteur champagne expired in...february 2008!!!
So far, it was the smoothest fermentation I've ever had.

Make a starter. if it's good, pitch it.

I just made a batch (about a week ago) using pasteur champagne expired in...february 2008!!!
So far, it was the smoothest fermentation I've ever had.

Make a starter. if it's good, pitch it.

can't make a starter now. I'm in the middle of the boil... have to pitch in 1 hour, it's late for a starter....

You could proof the yeast using a little sugar. I've never done this, so maybe look it up in John Palmer's online book, but my basic understanding is that you rehydrate the yeast with some warm water and add a little sugar and see if the yeast activates...

You could proof the yeast using a little sugar. I've never done this, so maybe look it up in John Palmer's online book, but my basic understanding is that you rehydrate the yeast with some warm water and add a little sugar and see if the yeast activates...

thanks matt, unfortunately I already pitched rehydrated pack of S-33 in the beer.

It looked kinda healthy diluted in water. nice cream formed... hope it'll be fine. I'll post what's going on!

thanks matt, unfortunately I already pitched rehydrated pack of S-33 in the beer.

It looked kinda healthy diluted in water. nice cream formed... hope it'll be fine. I'll post what's going on!

I'd let it do it's thing and not pitch the S 04 unless you have to.

Back