Help! how do I remove the spear from a foreign sanke?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhatchable

Reaction score
I had a friend gift me a 30L Heineken sanke keg and I cannot figure out how to get the spear out. the "slinky" clip shown in all of the tutorials i've looked at doesn't appear to be there. I have reason to believe that it may be a different spear design? european sanke? maybe? Any input is appreciated

Edit: So after some research I figured out that it is in fact a european "S" type keg. any input on taking the spear outta this bad beast?

I had a keg that I had to unscrew the spear, and then you have to reach past the ball with a special tool (or maybe skinny screwdriver) and push down a clip to release it.

so i got it unscrewed, but can't seam to find out how to remove the spear from the safety catch in there

I have one of those kegs and cut it open for a keggle. To remove the speer you have to push down on the ball to compress the spring that holds the two little wings out. It is a pia to do so. I never figured it out till after I cut the top open.

Good call kmack. I'll give it another go sometime tommorrow. I destroyed the valve trying earlier. No problem really though, I plan on using one of these to ferment in it.

Found this on the internet, works like a charm:

Unscrew the spear, drop a nickel on top of the ball, attach s type coupler and depress as though you were tapping a keg. Will pull right out. The nickel allows the valve to be fully depressed, thus releasing the safety latch.

No damage to the valve, no special tools required!

Latest posts

Back