Pitched dry yeast before wort - Advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
SWMBO and I were brewing EdWort's Haus Pale Ale yesterday, while consuming a few of EdWort's Apfelwein. Needless to say by the time it came to pitch the yeast neither of us were 100% focused.

She's seen me rehydrate dry yeast 30 or 40 times now, but thats a different story. Anyways, the yeast ended up in the carboy before the wort. To make it worse, the carboy had recently been drained of iodophor solution, and much of the yeast soaked up the trace amount left.

I saw this happen, and we were pouring the wort into the carboy within 10 seconds.

That was 5 PM yesterday, its 10 AM today, no signs whatsoever of any activity. I know its still early, but I am so used to a thick krausen within 3-4 hours.

I did use the new Nottingham yeast and have read threads about its sluggishness.

I guess what I am asking is, do I:
(a) RDWHAHB
(b) Pitch new yeast immediately, they're goners.
(c) Wait until the 48 hour mark (or longer?) and then repitch if still no activity.

Thanks!

I'm sure it will turn out fine.....just remember the only "activity" that is really reliable comes from your hydrometer...NOT bubbling in the airlock.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that anything's wrong, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working dilligantly away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years....

First thing you do is RDWHAApplewein, (well maybe not, that got you in this predicament ot begin with) fir 72 hours, because even on a normal fermentation it can take 72 hours to begin...

THEN YOU DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE, YOU DON'T EVEN THINK OF ADDING MORE YEAST UNTIL YOU TAKE A HYDRO READING.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in.....

The fact that the words PITCH YEAST came before the words TAKE A GRAV READ lead me to believe that you don't see the hydrometer for the necessary diagnostic tool it is...that's sort of "beer malpractice" :D

Your hydrometer is not your LAST resort in your mind after the thought of pitching more yeast, or shaking or doing anything...It should be the first thing you grab, if you are worried about your beer...even before posting an "is my beer ruined thread, or asking if something is wrong on here.

And like I said, do that in 72 hours....:mug:

If you saw them soak up iodophor I would say their viability probably took a pretty good hit, that stuff is a stone cold killer. There is a chance you will have enough yeast left to ferment the batch, but I would make sure to have another pack around in preparation for a repitch.

Thanks for the advice. I will wait 72 hours before I do anything. I am generally pretty good about being patient and optimistic, I just have to think that the yeast took a hit being poured into the iodophor, even if it was a ~1-1.5 oz / 6.5 gallon solution, and it was only there for about 10 seconds before being combined with wort. I guess we'll see.

I would throw in another package. You saw the yeast die :(

One cell could build up and ferment the whole batch in time. This leaves lots of time for other stuff to get into your beer and get growing.
Why risk a whole batch of beer over a pack of dry yeast?
Just my opinion.

I would throw in another package. You saw the yeast die :(

One cell could build up and ferment the whole batch in time. This leaves lots of time for other stuff to get into your beer and get growing.
Why risk a whole batch of beer over a pack of dry yeast?
Just my opinion.

How the heck do you KNOW the yeast died?????

That's my dilemma. What's the greater risk, pitching too much yeast, or waiting too long and risk infection?

Is 22 grams for a 5.5 gallon batch really too much? This is a Pale Ale and from what I understand, the flavor is not too dependent on the yeast strain.

That's my dilemma. What's the greater risk, pitching too much yeast, or waiting too long and risk infection?

Is 22 grams for a 5.5 gallon batch really too much? This is a Pale Ale and from what I understand, the flavor is not too dependent on the yeast strain.

Dude, 72 or even more hours in a sealed fermenter isn't a risk for infiection......read this; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1444287-post274.html

I don't think a few drop of iodophor did anything to your yeast.....I still think you are worrying for nothing....and I still maintain not doing ANYTHING before 72 hours has passed....but it's your beer...you won't harm you beer by over pitching....But I personally believe in making sure their is a problem before offering a cure....

Although there is no simple way to KNOW, we trust iodophor to do just that. How do we KNOW that it killed the wild yeast and bacteria that you can't see on your equipment...you don't but you trust that it is good enough at killing microorganisms that you give it the benefit of the doubt. Iodophor is very good at killing yeast, and if you dump live yeast into iodophor solution it will start to do that immediately. It is doubtful they are all dead, and as pointed out before with enough time even a few cells could ferment the batch, but chances are that enough were killed off that pitching another pack in would not be severely overpitching.

The yeast was pitched into iodophor, IMO another packet of Notty should have been pitched prior to posting this thread.

Why would one want possibly ferment the batch w/ stressed, weakened, or low count yeast #'s.

Last I checked, a packet of notty is a buck and a quarter.

Last I checked, a packet of notty is a buck and a quarter.

$1.60 at my LHBS, i pitched some more this afternoon.

FWIW I wasn't unsure about the iodophor's effectiveness at killing yeast, bacteria, etc., I was mainly curious about the duration (10 sec.) that the yeast was in contact with the diluted solution.

Back