So, should I be concerned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Put my first brew into the primary at 8:00 PM Sunday night. It is now 7:00 AM on Tuesday and the only activity I see is that the little "hat, bobble head" thing in the air lock was lifted up. But there is no bubbles of any kind going on.

36 hours isn't too long for a ferment to start, assuming you haven't seen activity before.

I checked it Monday morning so 9 hours in and there was nothing. Then checked it again after work (23 hours in) and nothing, Checked it again before bed (26 hours in) and the hat thingy in the air lock had raised up to the top. This morning still the same (33 hours in). But now bubbles. :(

FSR402 said:
I checked it Monday morning so 9 hours in and there was nothing. Then checked it again after work (23 hours in) and nothing, Checked it again before bed (26 hours in) and the hat thingy in the air lock had raised up to the top. This morning still the same (33 hours in). But now bubbles. :(
Couple of thoughts:
1) Is your fermentation lid on tightly?
B) Did you take an initial gravity reading with your hydrometer and if so what was the reading?
4) What kind of yeast did you use? I'm guessing a dry yeast? I've had dry yeasts ferment completely in as little as 30 hours.

Don't let the airlock be your "guide". Get in there with a hydrometer and see how the fermentation process is going.

But be sanitary.

BierMuncher said:
Couple of thoughts:
1) Is your fermentation lid on tightly?
B) Did you take an initial gravity reading with your hydrometer and if so what was the reading?
4) What kind of yeast did you use? I'm guessing a dry yeast? I've had dry yeasts ferment completely in as little as 30 hours.

Don't let the airlock be your "guide". Get in there with a hydrometer and see how the fermentation process is going.

But be sanitary.

I don't remember off the top of my head what yeast. I used what came in the Brewer's Best Irish Stout kit. But I do know that it was a dry yeast. I pitched it at 70* and the OG ws 1.050..

I have checked the lid a few times and it seems to be all the way on. If I push down in the center of the lid just a little it make the air lock bubble. So I'm sure it is.
I will wait and see what she's doing tonight. and If nothing I will take a gravity reading.

Well I just got home and checked it out. It's been in there for 48 hours and at 44*F. The little hood thing in the air lock is not even floating. :(
Tomorrow night (3 days) I'll take a gravity reading and see what's going on. For all I know, I may just not be getting a good seal on the air lock or something stupid like that.
I just don't want to mess with it to soon.

As for the yeast, the packet says "Muntons Auctive Brewing Yeast".

Take a reading now. If it's still the same as the OG then get some dry yeast and repitch. Some of those kits have been in stores for quite some times and the yeast with them is not always all that viable.

Also, whats the temperature? What was the pitching temp and did you hydrate the yeast or not?

Denny's Evil Concotions said:
Take a reading now. If it's still the same as the OG then get some dry yeast and repitch. Some of those kits have been in stores for quite some times and the yeast with them is not always all that viable.

Also, whats the temperature? What was the pitching temp and did you hydrate the yeast or not?
Pitching temp was 70* and I did not rehydrate. The package said to just dump it in and mix it up. The temp while in the fermentor has been at 64*..

I'll go right now and sanitize my stuff and get a reading.

If the OG hasn;t changed at all and there is now krausen on top, then it's probably old yeast.
Ok I just checked it out. There was a very thin layer of grean stuff on top. VERY thin. I took a reading and it came out at 1.03 give or take a few. It was hard to read. I still had some bubbles from the star san in the thief. So it has gone down 20 points in two days. I'm thinking that I did not have a good seal on the air lock. It went in hard the first time (almost push the cromet thru) and this time being soaked in Star San it slipped right in and about a half of in inch lower.

I'm feeling much better now. I think I can sleep.:mug:

i've never seen a green one...check the gallery, but here's a quick google search:

krausen.JPG

Fingers said:
Kind of like vomit that has sat in the sun too long. Only bubblier.
It looked a lot like the crap I cleaned out of the pot after boiling it. Green and a little chunky. I'm thinking that is some of the hops that made it thru the screen when I pt it in the fermenor.

Ahhhh... noobs.... :D
Heh...heh...

Yeah. It's more fun watching these "kids" work their way through these issues knowing we were (or at least I was) there just a short time ago.

Sounds like a slow fermentation, that's all.

You can have live yeast and you can have dead yeast, but I'm pretty sure you can't have wounded yeast.

Set things aside for 10 more days, take a reading and rack to a secondary.

It'll be fine.

BierMuncher said:
Heh...heh...

Yeah. It's more fun watching these "kids" work their way through these issues knowing we were (or at least I was) there just a short time ago.

Sounds like a slow fermentation, that's all.

You can have live yeast and you can have dead yeast, but I'm pretty sure you can't have wounded yeast.

Set things aside for 10 more days, take a reading and rack to a secondary.

It'll be fine.

Yeah it's no big deal. I hang out on a Corvette forum and a running forum. At one time I was a N00b there too. Have been thru it all before. :rockin: It's all good.

Latest posts

Back