My Random Recipe. Please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
I decided to try and create my own recipe for a slightly darker amber ale. The brew day went well, the fermentation is going as expected, and the color is what I had in mind. Anyone have an idea on whether this beer will taste mighty fine or more like mud pie. :D

7# Pale LME

.25 # 60L Crystal
1.5 # 120L Crystal
1 # Munich

1oz Amarillo Pellet Hops
2oz Northern Brewer Pellet Hops
Irish Moss

Yeast Safale S-04

Thank you

1. Munich needs to be mashed to extract all the goodness from it. Not a problem, do a mini mash. It is easy...1.5qts/lb at 150-5F for 60min. Rise with about the same amount of water at 170F. Up the Munich some until you get to the amount of water you are looking to boil. Adjust the extract accordingly.

2. Use DME unless you know the LME you get is fresh. LME can result in the so called extract "twang."

3. Hops should be fine. NB is not usually used as a late boil addition but should be OK. If I were doing it I would probably add late additions of American aroma type (3Cs, Simcoe, etc.), but I love a strong hop flavor.

4. I think S-04 leaves a lot of sweetness. Not sure if that is what you are going for but...

Yeah, hadn't thought to post before. It was my B-Day and I just got too excited to wait.

Thank you all for your input. May try this again and put your suggestions to work. :D

PseudoChef said:
I think he already made the recipe. Next time, I'd offer up a critique before you brew the recipe.
:eek:
I didn't even notice that. ha ha

I am sure it will turn out great!

Latest posts

Back