room temp kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpscruz

Reaction score
Hi, new the formum but been brewing for a long time... Finally thinking about getting a kegging system. For a variety of reasons, I don't want to get a dedicated keg fridge. Will I be OK to store CO2-pressurized kegs in the garage, which stays fairly cool year round, and just fill a growler and toss it in the fridge whenever I want some beer? Or, for parties or drinking larger amounts can I just run the serving line through an ice bath to chill as it is poured? I'm also not averse to drinking garage-temp beer sometime, just wanted people advice about options to a keg fridge.

THanks!

it's going to take a lot more pressure to carbonate it. you will have issues with outlet pressure and foaming if it is not refrigerated. the grolsch's you fill will probably taste flat once they are refrigerated.

it's not a good system, you'll also end up going through a lot of co2, as you will need to keep high pressures to keep the beer carbonated, and then purge it back to 5lbs to dispense, then bring it back up to 35 or so psi.

it can be done, but i wouldn't recommend it.

What would the variety of reasons be for not getting a keg fridge? They can be had on craigslist for less than $100 sometimes and you'll have all the cold beer and pop you could ever deam of. Since it will be in the garage, it does not need to be a certain size or color either.

You can do it (personally, I'd invest in the keg fridge, though)...depends how "cool" your garage is, and what styles of beer you drink (and thus how carbonated you want them).

For example, if you're shooting for 2.5 volumes of CO2 in your finished beer, you need roughly:
12 psi @ 40F
18 psi @ 50F
23 psi @ 60F
29 psi @ 70F

And you can dispense at whatever psi you're carbing at, by adjusting the line length, to avoid the lost CO2 from purging and repressurizing. Assuming a picnic tap held 4 ft above the center of the keg and 3/16" ID hose, you'd need approximately:
3.5 ft @40F
5.5 ft @50F
7.5 feet @60F
9.5 feet @70F

If there are big temp swings in the garage, you'll end up fiddling with the psi and swapping out different hoses, or just dealing with undercarbed beer (or foam).

Yup. While I'd never do this myself for the reasons stated, you may be able to do this if your garage temp stays within a ~5 degree range all year. If it doesn't, forget it. You'll be constantly having to tweak the pressure to add or bleed off CO2.

Just not worth it IMHO.

Kal

I chill my keg and force carb and leave cold for a few days to make sure its fully carbed. Then if when i'm tired of that beer i put it in my closet and start a new beer.

Then after its aged a bit i'll take my co2 and DIY beer gun into my closet and fill a couple six packs up and enjoy them.

Works fine for me.

Back