Priming with maple syrup. Ounces or fluid ounces?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel31

Reaction score
Hi,

I primed a batch with Grade B maple syrup some time back and barely got carbonation from it. That said, I used, say, 4 ounces (as in weight on the scale) of the syrup. Should I have used 4 FLUID ounces (as in volume, in a Pyrex measuring cup) instead of weighing the syrup on a scale?

4 fluid oz. of any liquid will differ in physical (on scale) weight from almost any other liquid.

Is this where my problem was? I've gone through many online priming calculators, but they don't differentiate between fluid ounces and (regular weight) ounces.

Any help? (This would obviously be the same for priming with, say, honey or molasses.)

Thanks!!
Nige

I assume that you're comparing this to your normal 4oz of priming sugar, correct? I just looked and found that maple syrup is approximately 60% sugar. So, you're not doing anything wrong by using weight, you just didn't add enough. I've got it at 6 2/3oz (by weight) would be the about the equivalent of 4oz corn sugar

Also, the "Nutrition Facts" on the label will tell you how many grams of sugar are in a "serving". You will have to do a bit of simple math, but it will get you the right quantity in the end.

I used this method to successfully prime a batch of Apfelwein with apple juice concentrate instead of sugar.

Back