Need Critiques/Help with English Strong Ale Recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrhammonds

Reaction score
So, I'm looking for some recipe critiques/suggestions. My goal is to create an oaked, english strong ale (burton). More specifically, I'm looking to create the English half of Dogfish Head's Burton Baton (the one they mix with the 90 minute IPA at bottling): Dogfish Head - Burton Baton.

That said, I'm hoping a few of you might critique this recipe. I want a caramelly, english strong ale that isn't too dark (old ale) but instead will allow for the caramels, english malt, and vanilla-esuqe oak to shine through. So, somewhere between an english barley wine and pale ale; similar to an old ale--but not as dark (no treacle). Suggestions?

UK Pale Ale Malt 12lb 0oz
Belgian Aromatic Malt 12.00 oz
Canadian Honey Malt (Gambrinus) 8.00 oz
US Caramel 60L Malt 8.00 oz
US Caramel 80L Malt 8.00 oz
UK Carastan Malt 8.00 oz

Keep it simple.

If you're using a quality UK pale malt, don't bother with the Aromatic. For one thing, a little Aromatic goes a looooooong way. For another, UK pale - like Muntons or Paul's - has a lovely crackery, biscuity profile by itself. No reason to mask it. Same with the Honey malt. Omit it.

I'd use sub UK crystals for your US caramels, just for consistency's sake, and up the 55-60L crystal to at least 0.75 lb. I'd also sub Dingemans Caramel Pils for the Carastan; it's like a halfway point between dextrin malt and 10L caramel malt. And I'd add a quarter-pound of Special B for those rummy, raisiny notes.

Cheers,

Bob

Sounds great Bob!

Of course, Carastan IS a UK crystal. Would you still say omit it?

Carastan is an extremely light crystal malt; like Briess's CaraPils, it adds no appreciable color or flavor. The Dingemans will add some color and flavor as well as all of the desirable stuff from Carastan. With the Dingemans, you get more layers of crystal notes, enhancing complexity.

ah... great advice. Thanks again!! However, the carastan I have is from Baird's and is at 30-40L; the description says to be cautious with it's use as the intense toffee and caramel flavors are apparent. So, I'm a bit confused, now. But nonetheless, I'll try that caramel pils from Dingemans. Thanks.

Oh! New information for me on the Baird's Carastan. That sounds like it's right in line with what I know of CaraMunich. Cool! [filing info. . . complete]

Back