Added Gelatin to Wort ;(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivercat96

Reaction score
I brewed my very first batch yesterday and somehow misread the directions and added some brewing gelatin with the Irish Moss about 10 minutes before the end of the final boil. After rereading the directions I was supposed to add the gelatin mixed into a pint of warm water after the beer fermented for two weeks, :eek: This is my first batch so I don't know if this is going to make the yeast fall to the bottom of the carboy and not ferment the mix?? I did aggitate the hell out of the carboy/fermenter multiple times for the first few hours last night. This morning after about 14 hours of fermenting the beer had a small head on it and was bubbling the air lock every few seconds. Has anyone made this mistake before? Will my mix ferment properly? Should I dump this batch and chalk this one up as a practice brew session? Thanx.

well you already spent the time and money to start this one.

Rule #1: have patience
Rule #2: never toss a beer unless you KNOW its ruined

Ride it out as though you did everything right. skip gelatin in secondary...most of the time it's not needed if you heed rule #1 ;)

its fermenting...it'll probably be just fine.

That must be a kit from The Original Home Brew Outlet. I have only used the gelatin once most of the time I forget about it until its time to bottle and then its too late. If its bubbling I think you are good to go. Watch it for 10 days and see if the gravity is dropping.

Malkore, I'm definitely not using gelatin in the secondary, that's for damn sure. Thanks for the tips though on patience and not tossing good beer.

Fish, you must be a local to the Sacramento area also. Yeah, bought the recipe kit from the Home Brew Outlet and the damn instructions don't say anything about not adding the gelatin (until the end) even though the pack is connected to the Irish Moss? I should of read the entire directions first, live and learn. So what are your thoughts on the recipe kits there? I'm totally new to this and just figured using a kit with malt extract would be a good way to start things off.

I am in Woodland and I have made an effort to buy from the Home Brew place just to support a local place. I have run through many of their recipes and I have been really happy with most of them I dry hopped the porter recipe and I could not keep the neighbors away. I like Mike - JJ is a bit strange. And I do get a kick out of watching all the strippers go into work (there are many strip clubs near the store). But I may start to buy more online in part because I have tried their recipes and I want to try some new stuff and in part because I have driven in a few times and I find that they are out of what I want. And in part because its a pain in the arse to drive in just for a few things. I do recommend their kits though I have had great results.

Glad to hear you like the HB Outlet, they're the only choice so they'll work for me. They do have a ton of stuff for the small size of the store and the guy working there, young guy w/ goatee was pretty helpful. Their selection of recipe kits was kind of limited, was looking for an Irish Stout & a Oktoberfest/Marzzen and didn't see either. Happy Brewing.

You’ll be fine. At worst, your yeast may coagulate in the primary but that is not likely, since the primary is where the violent churning takes place. Remember, gelatin does not kill yeast, it just causes particles in the beer to bind and fall.

I’d predict that your fermentation may “stall” a little toward the end as the yeast tornado subsides and stuff settles. You will need to manually stir up the yeast cake with a racking cane (don’t aerate) to keep the yeast ”awake”.

It’s likely that a full boil may have destroyed the gelatins effectiveness…not sure.

I use gelatin in the secondary for all but my wheat beers and it is effective at clearing your beer. It will also slow your priming process a bit if you bottle.

HappyFri_4.jpg

Gelatin & Irish Moss. Since one never boils gelatin, I suspect it will have no impact on the final product.

Do keep us posted.

You guys just brightenend my Monday with this news. I hope that the gelatin doesn't affect the yeast also but when you do boil gelatin it can still coagulate, that's why I thought I was going to make beer jello. ;) Anyhow, I'll keep everyone posted on my experiment. Biermuncher thanks for the motovational picture, nice looking brew there. I'd like to have one with my lunch right now.

Just talked with one of the guys at the Brew Shop where I bought my recipe kit and he said that people have added the gelatin to the wort before and that it shouldn't have any real affect. That's good news, thanks again everyone for the good information. I owe you a beer, well in about 3 weeks. :tank:

Back