Fine Tuning my process questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to get my efficiency up a few points and I want to fine tune my process.

First I'll describe my process: (System is a bastard clone of the old Pol BrewBeast: 2 10G Rubbermaid's {HLT with element and HERMs coil, MLT with false bottom and Blichman Auto-Sparge})

1) Fill HLT (Full) and MLT (2:1 ratio) and hookup lines
2) Set HLT to 148 and start recirc [Targeting a 143 MLT temp]
3) Once temp reached: stop recirc
4a) Dough-in and stir to a 133* temp in MLT
4b) Set HLT to Mash temp+5 [I lose 5 degrees from HLT to MLT from recirc]
5) Maintain the 133 in MLT while HLT raises to temp (approx 10m)
6) Start recirc and raise temp in MLT to mash temp (usually 10-15m)
7) Recirc constantly at temp for 60m
8) Set HLT to Sparge temp (170) but continue to recirc while it reaches temp
9) Stop recirc, switch hoses to sparge, start sparge
10) sparge to desired boil volume

So my questions:

Is the 133* rest doing anything harmful?
I realize it may not be necessary but if it doesn't harm anything I'd like to keep it in there.

Does anyone see anything fundamentally wrong with my process?

Now with Fly sparging..I realize you want to leave 1" of water above the grain...but my concern is I'm leaving sugars in there as well. Or do I fly sparge till all my expected water is used and then drain the rest from the MLT?

My efficiency ranges from 50% to 86% and I'd like to get it more consistent.
Thanks for the inputs!
:mug:
-Jay

I'm not familiar with the system. But in general, 133 F is a strange temp. to mash at. I don't have my George Fix book here, but I believe I remember the 122-140 range as being a range you want to get through quickly. I don't know if it would effect efficiency, it is strange your numbers are so inconsistent. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge of a recirculating system will chime in.

133* isn't my mash temp its my dough-in temp...I think it used to be called the Protein Rest.

I basically use it as my "let's see if everything is running smoothly today" step...like finding out my temp gauges are working, my false bottom hasn't clogged, autosparge is working

and at 133* I can still stick my hand in there to futz with stuff and not have to take percs :D

Who crushes your grains? And if you do have you been adjusting your crush?

I'm not a HERMS brewer so I can't help much in that regard, but everything looks OK.

For what it's worth, I was having some similar issues with my efficiency when I started brewing AG. I used to have friends over all the time when I was brewing. It was a bit distracting when you're trying to nail down your process. For me, brewing by myself and nailing down my process has helped tremendously in that I at least get consistent eff.

133* isn't my mash temp its my dough-in temp...I think it used to be called the Protein Rest.

Doughing in usually is done around 100 F, and protein rests around 122 F. Beta Amalyze is active at 133 F, so you are essentially mashing when at that temp. But I don't think this is effecting efficiency, just making the finished beer drier and thinner.

It is possible you are doing something to the pH, have you checked your pH through the process?

Nearly all my crush is from Ed at BMW..so I think the crush is good as others seem to be fine with it.
I can lower my dough-in (hell I can get 100 right from the tap) and P-rest steps...I'll do that with my brew this weekend and see if that clears anything up.

As for the pH...no I haven't been checking so I'm definitely in the dark as to what's going on there.

It's also possible my sample size isn't big enough...I'm only at about 40 batches on this setup so I may have to keep collecting data.

Back