Made a Belgian Tripel on the 5th of OCT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfknmario

Reaction score
I put it in the secondary on the 28th of the same month. I was thinking of bottling them up at he end of the month. My question is: should I add more yeast? Is there a way to check if I'll need to add more?

Once the beer has hit FG (Final Gravity) thats the best its going to be. No need to add more yeast to already fermented beer. Just prime it with corn sugar bottle it let it carb up and your good.

Once the beer has hit FG (Final Gravity) thats the best its going to be. No need to add more yeast to already fermented beer. Just prime it with corn sugar bottle it let it carb up and your good.

by the end of this month, that will be 4 months since I first pitched the yeast. I've heard that after a certain length of time, you may need to add some yeast to help with carbonation.

What yeast did you use for the original fermentation and what sort of ABV has the beer reached??

If you used a suitably, high alcohol tolerance yeast strain you shouldn't have any problem getting it to carb up.

You could always put some of the beer into a small, PET bottle, add some sugar, leave it somewhere warm and see if it pressurizes at all. If it does, your yeast are fine for the job.:ban:

I have also asked this same question in the past, regarding a RIS that was about 9.5% ABV and had been in the fermenter for 2 months. After listening to the answers, I did NOT add any yeast at bottling, and my beer carbed fine.

It really is a matter of what you are comfortable with. There is no reason not to add yeast at bottling (other than the slight cost of more yeast). Adding extra yeast for carbonation will not hurt a thing, and can give you peace of mind that you are not wasting several gallons of good beer. If you choose not to add any yeast, there is about a 95% chance your beer will carbonate normally, and should work out just fine.

So really, what it boils down to is this... If you are worried or unsure about your yeast being healthy, buy another packet of yeast and mix it in the bottling bucket when you prime. If you are not terribly worried, then let it ride, and it is ALMOST guaranteed to be OK.

Any beer that gets extended aging also gets a dosing of healthy yeast at viable for me. It only takes one batch not carbing over a 7 month span to realize that a little extra insurance to make sure the job gets done is not a bad thing, even if it means putting out a few extra dollars or effort.

I did an imperial nut brown ale that wieghed in at about 8.66% ABV. Bottled it ~4 months after brewing, and had zero issues with bottle carbing with no added yeast.

Back