Storing Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cchotz

Reaction score
I just bought a beer from a store that had it in the refrigerator. It will most likely be a month or two before I drink it since I am waiting for a special occasion (I know, everyday is special).

Is it best to keep it in my refrigerator since it was already chilled when purchased or should I keep it at room temperature in the pantry?

Usually if it was at room temperature when purchased, I keep beers at room temperature until I think I am going to drink it. But never considered if it was okay to keep beers cold for long periods of time. If not, how long is too long?

I would absolutely keep it in the fridge. Personally, I believe beer (all beer) ages better when in cooler conditions.

How long is too long?
Depends on what type of beer. If it's an IPA, I wouldn't age too long considering you want all of that beautiful hop aroma, so I'd try to drink within a couple of months. However, a RIS or Barley Wine can and should in some cases age for years.

J

Thanks HalfPint. One a recent trip to Belgium I drank a 1994 Chimay. After 16 years it turned into a port. He had that in a cellar. So wasn't sure if something as cool as a refrigerator was okay as well. Amazingly good by the way.

Wow, that's pretty awesome that you got hold of a Chimay with that much age on it. I think whichever route you take, the beer will turn out just fine.

Back