When to Smack Activator Pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
This is my first time using an Activator pack. I'm brewing tomorrow. The directions say to smack the Activator pack at least 3 hours ahead of time. I assume that means I can smack it tonight before I go to bed. I just want to make sure there isn't a problem with smacking it too early.

Any problems with smacking the thing tonight and then brewing tomorrow morning?

Nope, smack away. Just make sure the packet stays somewhere in the area of 65-75 degrees

what kind of yeast? depending on what time you plan to brew, you may want to do it late tonight or first thing in the morning.

get some other opinions though, because i'm a noob as well. the above is just what i've been told.

what kind of yeast? depending on what time you plan to brew, you may want to do it late tonight or first thing in the morning.

get some other opinions though, because i'm a noob as well. the above is just what i've been told.

I will contridict this advice.

I believe that on the packet, and definitely on the website, it states that 'smacking' is not a requirement, nor does it make any real difference.

It is there solely as a method of determining the viability of the yeast. For example, if you do smack it and nothing happens in 3 hours, it probably is no good.

Therefore, I'd say go ahead and smack it the night before at room temp. If you wake up and it's inflated you're good to go (that's what she said)

I will contridict this advice.

I believe that on the packet, and definitely on the website, it states that 'smacking' is not a requirement, nor does it make any real difference.

It is there solely as a method of determining the viability of the yeast. For example, if you do smack it and nothing happens in 3 hours, it probably is no good.

Therefore, I'd say go ahead and smack it the night before at room temp. If you wake up and it's inflated you're good to go (that's what she said)

any idea what happens to the little packet inside the packet if you don't smack it? what does it do/what was it made of?

half my answer was to smack it tonight, so i was half right.

;o)

any idea what happens to the little packet inside the packet if you don't smack it? what does it do/what was it made of?

half my answer was to smack it tonight, so i was half right.

;o)

It's just yeast nutrient. If you don't smack it nothing happens it will just stay in there.

This is what it says on their site:

Wyeast Laboratories. Activator™

Activator™ packages include a sterile liquid nutrient pouch that, when “smacked”, releases its contents into the yeast slurry and “activates” the package. The available nutrients initiate the culture’s metabolism which in turn generates CO2 and causes swelling of the package. This process will reduce lag times by preparing the yeast for a healthy fermentation prior to inoculation. Activation also serves as a viability test of the culture. Expansion of the package is an indicator of healthy (viable and vital) yeast. Although beneficial, cultures do not need to be activated prior to inoculation.

The bolded sentence is where wyeast claims there is a benefit to smacking.

I never smack the packs anymore, after I had an unfortunate incident in which the act of smacking the pack resulted in an exploded pouch and yeast sprayed all over the wall. So I never smack anymore, but I always make a starter.

I've recently started using Wyeast Activatior packs on my last two batches. I smacked the first about 3 hours or so before I pitched it. The second I smacked a little earlier than that, maybe 5-6 hours beforehand. The first one had only expanded a little when I pitched it, but the second one had expanded quite a bit. The first was 1752 - Belgian Abbey Ale II, and the second was 1968 - London ESB Ale. The jury is still out on how good those beers turn out, since they're still fermenting and conditioning. But what I do know is that the fermentations took off just as good as dry yeast, even without a starter. The one with the longer wait did seem to take off a bit faster, but both were going strong in about 24 hours or less. Certainly the smells coming from those two primaries are good, and I'm betting the beers will be good, too. Would a starter be a good idea? Probably, and I'll likely experiment with this later. But I'd bet my carboys that what I made will be damn good beer just the same.

:D I feel like I'm listening to "The Jamil Show"...or "Brew Strong", or "Can You Brew It"?

Those guys have some of the dirtiest minds in the world.

I used Wyeat London Ale III on my last batch, a southern english brown, which is still in the primary--been about 1 week. I activated about 4 hours before I pitched, and it had swelled very little. I questioned whether or not the yeast was viable, but pitched anyway. Fermentation took off about 24 hours and went fine. Because I was worried about the yeast viability, I went to the LHBS and bought white labs london ale and safale-04 just in case. I guess I'll have those for future batches. My past experience with the Wyeast activators is that they swelled quite a bit more, but I suppose that is dependent on the yeast strain and perhaps other factors.

My plan is to start doing starters, yeast washing, and hopefully get a stir plate built in the next few weeks.

I've used these a couple of times. The first time time it took 4/5 days for the pack to expand. The second time it only took a day. So I say smack, pitch, be happy.

well I ended smacking it last night at about 9PM. By the time I pitched it - about 1PM today, I thought the thing was going to explode it had expanded so much. Guess she's viable...

Back