I'm not a fan... but is there a Miller Light recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
I've been brewing for 8 or so months... about 20 or so batches into it...
My wife figured if you can't beat him, join him....
Is there a miller light recipe out there.. I understand that it's an "american style light lager" but I'm up for the task

Please, I'm an extract brewer so keep it within these means... thanks
timg

Try the Munton's Premium American Style Light Beer. Order it from Austin Homebrew Supply and get their canned kit upgrade and you'll be in the ball park with a beer that will be similar or better than Miller Lite. If you want to try and match Miller Lite more perfectly, instead of the canned kit upgrade try in the neighborhood of 3/4-1 kilo of Dextrose. That kit will get you very close to Miller Lite, just make sure you ferment it as cool and clean as you can, 50F works great for me, and try to avoid adding anything that will all any kind of flavor - stick to dextrose and you'll be darn close.

Another kit you might try is Cooper's Draught - that beer is spot on Miller Genuine Draft when made with a mixture of Light DME and Dextrose. I bet if you take it very gently with the DME or leave the DME out entirely and go for just dextrose you'll be right in the neighborhood of Miller Lite too.

Should be well within your means to brew either one of these kits, I brew one of these just about every month - I like Light Beer too.

Light beer is kind of hard to brew, because most of the advice you get on this forum is advice for making beer snob beer, and not a beer like Miller Lite. The trick to making a light beer is just avoiding a few ways you can easily go wrong... don't use anything that will add a flavor, no extra malt extract, no steeping grains, none of that. No extra hops. Don't try and bump the alcohol up.

If you've got to tamper with the instructions on the kit and not follow them, then invest a couple extra bucks in a real lager yeast.

Ferment the beer at an appropriate temperature - lower 50s with a Lager yeast and you'll have something very much like Miller Lite.

You can buy a 30 pack of Miller Lite for $15. Why would you want to brew it at a greater cost?

I don't know - maybe he likes to brew ?

You can buy a 30 pack of Miller Lite for $15. Why would you want to brew it at a greater cost?

If the man wants to make a Miller Lite clone so be it! Let him brew what he wants to brew without question...

I'm not sure how you would really brew a lite beer as an extract batch, but I imagine you could approximate like this:

4-6# of the lightest extract you can get
.25# Flaked Rice
.25# Pilsner Malt
.25# Pale Malt
Maybe 15 IBUs of Saaz
Lager yeast of your choice

If you don't/can't lager, a German Alt yeast or a nuetral American ale yeast, like US-05 would do... Either should be fermented as low as they will go if you're not going to reach lagering temps.

I recently tried one of the Coopers kits. Makes a pretty decent swill beer. I'd try that first 'cause it is easy and this isn't rocket science. :mug:

If you don't/can't lager, a German Alt yeast or a nuetral American ale yeast, like US-05 would do... Either should be fermented as low as they will go if you're not going to reach lagering temps.

I'd recommend you use a big starter if you try the Alt, or double pitch the Safale. By shortening the reproductive phase of the yeast you will minimize the amount of esters and it will ferment out squeaky clean. With either ale strain keep it 60-62 until it ferments out (plastic tub with ice packs will do that, no problem, swap out 4# twice a day and you'll be golden) then leave it for two weeks in the primary before transferring.

If you are setup to lager use WLP840 at 48*F, leave it for four weeks in the primary and then rack to secondary or keg.

To get it super clear add 1T of gelatin dissolved in two cups of warm water in a secondary or when racking to keg.

The beer I'm drinking right now I made with the Munton's Premium American Light Lager, 1# Extra Light DME, 1#Rice Syrup Solids - Its closer to Bud Light than Miller Light though. Imagine a Bud Light with a home brew head on it. Its very tastey - probably has a touch too much malt flavor for a light beer though.

If you try the Munton's Light kit, I'm sure your old lady will be happy with how it turns out. 2#s of added adjuncts is plenty - next time I make it, I'm probably only going to 1/2# Light DME and 1 # Rice Syrup solids though - I think it will be closer to what you expect from a 'light' beer. Thats why I was suggesting if you go with the Dextrose maybe only do 3/4 of a kilo instead of a full kilo as per the instructions. Don't worry about what someone is sure to chime in that Dextrose will give it a cider taste - that 'cider' taste is what Miller Lite taste like basically. Dextrose won't hurt the beer if Miller Lite is what you're aiming for.

MAYBE try a cream or blonde ale. I'd consider that the stepping stone above BMC, but with an appeal to BMC drinkers.

You never said if you had the ability to lager beer. A blond ale with 20 IBUs would be close, but if you don't have the ability to lager you really won't be making a clone of the American Light Lager.

You never said if you had the ability to lager beer. A blond ale with 20 IBUs would be close, but if you don't have the ability to lager you really won't be making a clone of the American Light Lager.

If he keeps the temps down during the fermentation, and bottles after maybe 2-3 weeks, gives it another 2-3 weeks in the fridge before she drinks it - you can call that lagering if you want to I suppose - it will be fine.

And 20 IBUs is WAY too bitter for Miller Lite. I'm Sure it would be a good beer, and I'm sure I would drink it, but thats not a Miller Lite recipe for sure.

I believe (although I may be wrong) that the main difference between Bud Light and Miller Light is that Bud's primary adjunct is rice whereas Miller's primary adjunct is corn.

Try one of the Bud light recipes and use extra light corn syrup in place of (or in addition to) the rice adjunct syrups.

And 20 IBUs is WAY too bitter for Miller Lite. I'm Sure it would be a good beer, and I'm sure I would drink it, but thats not a Miller Lite recipe for sure.

A blond ale wouldn't be close anyway. Way to malty, but I've found it's a good "gateway" beer for BMC drinkers if mashed at a lower temp. My most popular beer on tap.

My best, or worst, comment on one batch was "This tastes almost like Bud!"

:mad:

:rockin:

:(

Coming from personal experience, you should consider a Pale Ale, brew with 100% Xtra-Light DME... keep the gravity to about 1.044. Then hop with .5 oz Hallertau or Hersbrucker at 60 minutes, and another .25 oz at 5 minutes. Best kegged + force carbed to about 3 vols.

I made one like this (but with more hops, and AG, not extract) and it was very tasty. Good non-lager substitute for pale fizzy beer.

Unless you want to do a kit, and lager it, then that's cool.

If you want something like it, only better, try Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. It is really an extremely tasty light lager type (it's an ale) beer.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %