Triple the volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimgriz

Reaction score
Over super bowl weekend a friend approached me in regards to making some home brew for his wedding. First I was flattered and then I started thinking about logistics. He was thinking that his thirsty guests could handle about 30 gallons of beer.
Currently I am making five gallon batches and have the ability to brew ten gallon batches. My issue I think is fermentation.
Currently I have two 6 1/2's, two five gallon carboys and five 'corny kegs'. I also have an empty sanke keg.
I guess I can start way ahead of time and just store the 'cornies' for the big event. Would anyone recommend trying to clean out the sanke keg? I have taken one apart before to utilize as a boil kettle. Do I need a special tool to get the metal clip (not sure what the correct name of that clip is) back into place? And if so can I just 'shake it clean with oxyclean'? Followed up of course with some star san sanitizer.
Thanks in advance for the pointers!

Do I need a special tool to get the metal clip (not sure what the correct name of that clip is) back into place? And if so can I just 'shake it clean with oxyclean'? Followed up of course with some star san sanitizer.
Thanks in advance for the pointers!

There are special tools but there are also about 5 different types of "clips" some don't have clips, just screw in type washers. I haven't tried to re-install any because I've either used them for boil kettles or fermentors.

By the way you can use a carboy brush to scrub the insides, and a small flashlight to lower into it for inspection, maybe even a small mirror like the type mechanics use on the end of a telescoping rod, etc.:rockin:

I keg my brew in sanke kegs, it's easy as pie to remove the retaining ring and spear, then replace them after cleaning. I just use a small screwdriver and a pair of pliers to put the retaining ring back in.

I wouldn't even worry about replacing it for fermenting. Just buy a large enough rubber stopper and drill a hole for an airlock.

Yea, that's what I do, I'm not sure what the OP was going to do with it, but I guess why would he take out the pickup and guts if he was going to dispense from it huh, he talks about putting it back in.

I don't use sankes for dispensing so I don't know if they are cleaned through the tap or what. I would guess you could use the tap and just flush out the last beer with water, maybe some cleaning solution, sanitize and go again?:mug:

For fermenting in them, I pull the spear out and stretch an orange carboy cap over them. For serving I fill them just like you would a corny keg, then I reinstall the spear and retaining ring. After that it's just a matter of purging with CO2, aging, carbing & drinking!

Back