Yeast recomendation for Old Rasputin clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I am planning an old rasputin clone and having a difficult time comming up with a yeast selection. The recipes I see on the net are all over the place. My grain and hops are:

LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
71% 13 0 Maris Otter Two Row info 34 30
8% 1 8 Brown Malt info 32 65
5% 1 0 Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) info 34 60
3% 0 10 Chocolate Malt info 34 475
3% 0 10 Roasted Barley - 550L info 34 550
3% 0 10 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L info 33 120
3% 0 8 Victory Malt info 34 25
2% 0 6 Black Patent Malt info 27 550
18 4

use time oz variety form aa
boil 105 mins 0.75 Centennial info pellet 10.0
boil 105 mins 1.25 Cluster info pellet 7.0
boil 30 mins 1.0 Northern Brewer info pellet 8.0
boil 30 mins 1.5 Liberty info pellet 4.0
dry hop 14 days 1.0 Liberty info pellet 4.0

Original Gravity
(1.079 to 1.093)
Final Gravity
(1.020 to 1.025)
Color
72° SRM / 141° EBC
(Black)

Bitterness
92.0 IBU / 20 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

I was thinking of Pacman - and yes - I will do a starter.

I'm not sure what yeast they use, but Pacman is a fine choice since it isn't a yeast driven beer. Recipe looks good otherwise. Good luck, hope you aren't planning on drinking it this winter.

I'm planning on 3 weeks primary and then either secondary or bottling/kegging for at least a month or two. I may split the batch and put half of it in a smaller secondary fermenter and leave it there for an extended period (like 6 months).

This is something I was just searching for but didn't have any luck. I had two batches of Brown Ale (split 10 gal batch) to choose a cake from, one was S-04 and the other was Nottingham.

Since (per my recipe) the OG is ~1.092 and the FG target is ~1.024 it seemed to me that Notty (and Pacman) would attenuate too much even if I mashed high. I'd rather have the FG finish a little high than low so I decided to use the S-04 cake and use the Notty for an IPA. Then I mashed at a more typical mash temp. I've been fermenting at 62* F just to keep it from going gangbusters (I just brewed it Saturday).

Guess I'll know in about ~5 months. Although the FFT is complete I haven't measured it yet, hopefully it finished in the 1.023 ballpark.

How long are planning on leaving it in primary and then secondary? This is one thing that seems a bit of a mystery. I know this isn't a fast aging beer by any means, and I am planning on doing primary for 2 - 3 weeks and then secondary for at least another 4 weeks. I'm going to bottle some and keg some so the bottles will age for a while. The keg I plan on conditioning for 2 weeks or so. I wonder how much it really benefits much from month 6 to month 12???

I'll prob do about 3 weeks primary (no secondary) and then keg it and let it sit at room temp for a couple of months, then chill/carbonate it for at least a month. It will depend somewhat on when I have a space open up in the keezer. I'll bottle at least half of the keg. This is my first RIS but I've read they benefit from aging like many big beers do.

Latest posts

Back