Steak & Guinness Pie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindLemonLars

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Now this is something I have been wanting to make ever since I got back from England last year. I had a few over there, some were pretty good and at least one was spectacular. I attempted to recreate the spectacular one!

Nothing fancy...stewing beef + ground beef, a bit of salt pork, pearl onions, shallots, garlic, potatoes, carrots, peas. A few dried herbs (parsley, savory, tarragon, celery seed, bay leaf, black pepper) were used, as well as some fresh parsley and a few shakes of Maggi seasoning. Naturally I used a pint of my own AG oatmeal stout, as well as a half-glass of summer blonde when it seemed to need more liquid.

I topped with some store-bought puff pastry, and baked the pies in my gas grill at 400°. I left my pizza stone in there to help maintain the temperature, and just used the ceramic rotisserie burner as a heat source. While I had enough filling for two huge pies as well, these two smaller ones were the most photogenic. Click the pic for a closer view.

So good.... Of course, we washed it down with more oatmeal stout.

Looks good. 1 could eat that for breakfast, with mashed potatoes.

I'm not sure about the "ground beef, a bit of salt pork" though.
I've only ever had it with beef steak.

I'm not sure about the "ground beef, a bit of salt pork" though.
I've only ever had it with beef steak.

The salt pork is not visible in the final dish. It's almost entirely fat, diced up small and cooked down, and the resulting grease used to brown the stewing beef. Think "streaky bacon."

After trimming my stew beef, I didn't think I had enough and threw in the lb of Trader Joe's organic ground beef, which is ultra-lean and grass-fed for an amazing flavor. No regrets!

Breakfast eh? Hmnn....it's breakfast time here in Los Angeles. :D

That looks awesome, Lars. I loooooove steak and guinness pie and this is, by far, the best I have ever had:

3 purple onions peeled and sliced
1 sprig rosemary
olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
4 Tbs butter
2 sticks celery finely sliced
2 carrots
portabella mushrooms sliced, broken up
inch dice beef
salt
pepper
pint of guinness extra stout
1 Tbs flour
puff pastry
white cheddar
1 egg

Brown meat in a skillet and caramelize onions, then add everything but the cheese and sweat it.
Bake the filling, covered for a couple hours @ 350, then mix in the cheddar and cover with the pastry.
score the lid, then egg wash
put in oven 350 for 40 min or until bubbling and golden

It's from Jamie Oliver at Home. Freakin' fantastic. You can also do this in a proper pie-crust.

Gotcha,,,,

It's a play on the what I'm used to, sounds good.
Not sure what the recipe was on these, I make it up rather than follow a recipe.

stewiv7.jpg

bakedpiexy6.jpg

They have shortcrust rather than a puff pastry.

Damn that looks good. I pick up so many excellent recipe ideas here.

They have shortcrust rather than a puff pastry.

I actually prefer shortcrust for savory pies, but had the puff pastry in the freezer, and was HUNGRY!! :D

I'll probably have one of the remaining pies for dinner tonight, I'll try to get a cross-section shot. Rather than have peas & potatos on the side, I just threw them right into the filling!

Chairman Cheyco, I saw Jamie Oliver prepare his on TV a few weeks back, which is what put me in mind to finally give one a try. I just read a whole bunch of recipes to get a feel for the dish, and made up my own based on ingredients on hand.

Back