I love Kolsch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
Whenever I brew I try split into two batches with two different yeasts.
So far WLP029 is becoming my favorite. Ive made : Koslch (obviously), Munich Dunkel and a Dry Stout with it. Each time its been fantastic. The best one so far was the stout. Its was really smooth, clean and dry - like a light baltic porter or schwartzbier. If you havn't played around with Kolsch yeast I can recommend it.

I am using WLP029 for an American Pale Ale very soon. I think it is going to be an excellent beer.

I just made a Kölsch with the Wyeast 2565 and I plan to wash it for use later on. How do you guys think it would do with an oatmeal stout? I like the WLP004 for my stouts, but you've got me intrigued by this post.

Split it into two fermentors and try WLP029 in the one and WLP004 in the other to compare. Let us know. I don't think you will be disaappointed :mug:

I just made a Kölsch with the Wyeast 2565 and I plan to wash it for use later on. How do you guys think it would do with an oatmeal stout? I like the WLP004 for my stouts, but you've got me intrigued by this post.

I think it may over-shadow the specialty malts in an Oatmeal stout.

I don't think you will be dissapointed by this yeast at all in a stout. To be honest, I was thinking of using it in my next imperial stout. I will probably keep he OG around 1.090 and see what this yeast can do. My experience is that it is a great attenuator when kept in the upper sixties. It may be the most under appreciated strain in while labs lineup.

I am not familiar with that strain, but my understanding is that it really isn't a kolsch strain, but a german ale strain.

WLP029 for me. I have about 6 empty tubes and no bad batches! My first Kolsch attempt came out super light, like SRM 3.5. Good clean flavor, not a lot of flavor, but what is there is good and malty!
BTW I am brewing a modified version of that Kolsch this Saturday so off to the LHBS for more WLP029!

I am not familiar with that strain, but my understanding is that it really isn't a kolsch strain, but a german ale strain.

I have never had a real kolsch nor a german ale. I do know it has worked well in the mid 50s to create killer, albeit not horrible crisp, pseudo lagers.

In practice, most commercial brewers in the US follow the wine industry and respect European appellations and so US examples will either not be called Kolsch at all (Alaskan Summer) or will qualify the use of Kolsch (Schlafly Kolsch Style Ale).

I think the wyeast strain wasn't actually derrived from a German Kolsch brewery, whereas the Whitelabs strian was. Not that I care, I am sure they are both awesome.

I think the wyeast strain wasn't actually derrived from a German Kolsch brewery, whereas the Whitelabs strian was. Not that I care, I am sure they are both awesome.

Wyeast 2565 is used to produce Kolsch, it was derived from a German yeast supplier.

That's like saying if you buy a tube of 001 it isn't an American Ale yeast because you didn't get it from an American Ale brewery.

Wyeast 2565 is used to produce Kolsch, it was derived from a German yeast supplier.

That's like saying if you buy a tube of 001 it isn't an American Ale yeast because you didn't get it from an American Ale brewery.

I just read that somewhere about the wyeast strain. No big deal, not trying to stir the pot here.

I just checked wyeasts website and they do say that probable origin is Cologne, Germany for 2565.

I just find it odd that their respective manufacturers have such different fermentation specifications for the two strains if they are both from the same region and have been conditioned to brew similar styles of beer.

I do find it interesting that these strains have a fairly high ABV tolerance...%10 or higher. WLP029 may have to get dumped into a german style barley wine

WLP029 is pretty much the best yeast ever. I have only really used it in kolsch, pilsner and alt, but it is awesome if you treat it right. You need to pitch a lot, ferment cool, but it produces some awesome flavors. Much more interesting to me than any other yeast character.

WLP029 is pretty much the best yeast ever. I have only really used it in kolsch, pilsner and alt, but it is awesome if you treat it right. You need to pitch a lot, ferment cool, but it produces some awesome flavors. Much more interesting to me than any other yeast character.

I agree with you, and what is very kind of "under the hat" about it, is that it attenuates near %80!

If you ferment above 70 it starts to throw esters, but even those aren't that bad.

I think I know what is going to be at the top of the shopping list the next time I visit the LHBS.

I love WLP029. I have two batches of Kolsch on drinkable right now, one on tap and one bottled. Biggest hit I ever made. I have four more batches fermenting as we speak.

You do want to be a little more precise with it, but it makes one heck of a beer. It really brings out a smooth flavor from the malt and let's small hop additions shine.

I love the stuff and have a bunch washed in reserve. :tank:

I just took at peak at my fermenter with the WLP029 on an APA (1.055 OG), and it is just chugging away at 65 degrees like a champ. I am getting thirsty just thinking about how good it is going to be. I mashed this one at 152, so I am hoping the yeast leaves it be at 1.015 or so, but I bet it goes lower. That's the way this strain goes.

I am so darned in inclined to make imperial stout or robust porter with it....i think that would be an amazing beer.

I just took at peak at my fermenter with the WLP029 on an APA (1.055 OG), and it is just chugging away at 65 degrees like a champ. I am getting thirsty just thinking about how good it is going to be. I mashed this one at 152, so I am hoping the yeast leaves it be at 1.015 or so, but I bet it goes lower. That's the way this strain goes.

I am so darned in inclined to make imperial stout or robust porter with it....i think that would be an amazing beer.

It does attentuate awesome. I mashed lower on my Kolsch beers, but I did get 84%.

I like the idea of putting it to work on a nice American Stout...... 1.064 with 60 IBU's or such.

It does attentuate awesome. I mashed lower on my Kolsch beers, but I did get 84%.

I like the idea of putting it to work on a nice American Stout...... 1.064 with 60 IBU's or such.

Agreed, a nice american stout..

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 77.42 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.84 %
0.75 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.84 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 31.7 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (15 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (2 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (1 min) Hops 0.6 IBU

mash at 154 and let WLP0129 go to town.

I am wondering if a nice cold crashing and lagering period would benefit a brew of this nature?

now that's american!

This is about 15 hours after pitching onto a yeast cake of Wyeast Kölsch.

IMG_1777.JPG

I've never seen krausen like that before! Lag time on this was about 60 minutes.

I've used the WPL029 on the AHS Texas Kolsch (mini-mash) and it turned out great. I'm brewing the AHS Altbier (mini-mash) with the WPL029 today.

brewed a German Pilsner/Amarillo SMASH yesterday with WLP029, and it just started bubbling away. Mashed low (150F), so I'm hoping for good attenuation based on previous comments about this yeast. I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly fermentation started....I've read a lot about 36+ hour delays.

Anyone have suggestions about good brews to pitch on top of this cake in a few weeks?

I recently pitched an Oktoberfest on a Kolsch cake and it's shaping up quite nicely. I'll let you know in another month.

brewed a German Pilsner/Amarillo SMASH yesterday with WLP029, and it just started bubbling away. Mashed low (150F), so I'm hoping for good attenuation based on previous comments about this yeast. I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly fermentation started....I've read a lot about 36+ hour delays.

Anyone have suggestions about good brews to pitch on top of this cake in a few weeks?

One idea that I have been towing with is a Vienna like lager recipe. The last Kolsch I created with WLP029 was awesome. In fact, I could have swore it was a lager - very European like in taste.

I think a very simple Vienna type beer would be great. Also, you could do a Dusseldorf Alt. This is a great beer style, a more malty and amber version of a Kolsch. Regardless of staying to styles, I think the WLP029 works best when there a IBU/OG ratio of 40% - 50%, with the majoirty of hops utilized as bittering versus aroma or flavor.

Broc

Just uncapped one of my pilsner/amarillo SMASH brews fermented with WLP029...easily the best beer i've made yet. Can't imagine a better summertime beer.

I'm bummed I didn't wash the yeast now. attenuated at 74% without a starter...can't imagine if I wasn't lazy and actually made one. Can't wait to make another brew with this yeast.

I have been using wlp029 as my house strain...thought I was in the minority. By far the best yeast. I never use a clearing agent and have had crystal clear beers (commercial clear) within 4 weeks of pitching.

I brew APA'S, Browns, Kolsch's, getting ready for an IPA with it this week. I will definitely have to try a stout or Schwartzbier this winter.

2 questions:

1) Anyone do suto lagers with this strain...if so what style?

2) I'm getting consistant attenuation, but by no means have I ever got close to 80 percent. I usually get 72-74 when mashing at 152, and 76 or so when mashing at 149. What is the secret to higher attenuation with this strain?

As far as starters are concerned I tend to go on mrmalty and select "hybrid" then make the appropriate size starter per gravity.

I have been using wlp029 as my house strain...thought I was in the minority. By far the best yeast. I never use a clearing agent and have had crystal clear beers (commercial clear) within 4 weeks of pitching.

I brew APA'S, Browns, Kolsch's, getting ready for an IPA with it this week. I will definitely have to try a stout or Schwartzbier this winter.

2 questions:

1) Anyone do suto lagers with this strain...if so what style?

2) I'm getting consistant attenuation, but by no means have I ever got close to 80 percent. I usually get 72-74 when mashing at 152, and 76 or so when mashing at 149. What is the secret to higher attenuation with this strain?

As far as starters are concerned I tend to go on mrmalty and select "hybrid" then make the appropriate size starter per gravity.

1) I consider Kolsch a pseudo lager, so yes. White labs data suggests you will get a cleaner ferment at 67 with this strain then you will at 55. Attenuation will be similar but diactyl increases when fermenting to cold.

2) I recently had WLP 029 take a 1.055 OG APA mashed at 154 down to 1.009 fermenting at 67 degrees for four weeks. I think that is pretty good attenuation. I think the secret is letting it go for a very long time and pitching the appropriate amount of healthy yeast. This beer is as Rev woudl say...."gem clear"

i bet pretty much any german lager recipe will taste really good with this yeast. i've done kolsch and a "vienna beer", which was a weyermann vienna and german spalter smash, and both beers came out great. my favorite beer for this yeast though which i'm surprised no one has said yet, is hefeweizen... you know, for those of us who don't like all the clovey-banana shenannegins.

i hear everyone raving about Pacman, but it seems that this yeast could perform just as well and in as many styles of beers as people (and Rogue) use Pacman for...am I missing anything? Both are high attenuators and produce clean beers...thoughts?

i hear everyone raving about Pacman, but it seems that this yeast could perform just as well and in as many styles of beers as people (and Rogue) use Pacman for...am I missing anything? Both are high attenuators and produce clean beers...thoughts?

I say absolutely!!! This is my go to yeast.

I also love the WLP029 and I want to try and make an IPA with soon. I was going to use it in my Nugget Nectar clone but I have a 2000ml of washed PacMan I am throwing at it.

Latest posts

Back