Added aroma hops 15 minutes too early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcsxd9

Reaction score
Hello, everyone, this is my first post but have been reading these forums for months. Today I attempted my first brew. Went with a BB kit for my first brew. The APA. I followed the instructions perfectly until it was time to add the final 3.3lbs of extract. 40 minutes into the boil I added the extract as recommended but then i immediately added the aroma hops which were supposed to be added 15 minutes later for a total of 5 minutes. I caught my mistake instantly and pulled my pot a total of seven minutes later and started the chill. What kind of results could I expect if nothing gets contaminated from here on out?

In this situation would have it been a better decision to let the wort boil for the complete 60 minutes?

I'm guessing you'll get beer. The 60 min boil with extract is mainly for hop utilization, so you didn't get everything out of your first hop addition...but most extraction happens early so guess what...it's going to be fine. It may not be quite as bitter as it should be, but it will be really close, and by pulling it early you didn't boil off the aromatic compounds in your aroma hops so I'd say you did just fine.

Did you have a vigorous boil going? If so, I bet you'll be just fine. Trust me, we've all done a lot worse than this. Try melting your extract bag in the hot wort (yes, I did drink the entire batch and it was good!) or scorching the heck out of the extract on the bottom of your kettle. Most of these times are general guidelines, especially since your dealing with an extract kit, IMO. Most issues you'll probably encounter with extract kits will probably be with under aerating the wort and underpitching the yeast.

Thanks for the info. I just added water to my wort and i got my OG in range but i only have a total of 4.5 gallons. Is this normal?

vigorous boil

? I'm not sure how you ended up with only 4.5 gallons. It sounds like you did a partial boil, and then you added water to reach your pre boil volume of 5 gallons. I guess you didn't add enough water? In any event, don't worry about it. I guess you could add 1/2 gallon or so, but your gravity will decrease. Next time, If you have a large enough kettle, I suggest doing a full boil. I think most of us start off with 1/2 gallon extra in our fermenters. This will account for the trub as you rack to the secondary or bottling bucket.

First, since you did a late extract addition, you probably are very close to the IBUs. (The lower gravity during the boil balancing the shorter boil).

Second, you should top off to 5 gallons, as you probably didn't mix well enough before taking the gravity.

Third, neither of these errors will ruin the brew.

Latest posts

Back