Franziskaner clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I am going to order the franziskaner clone kit from Austin Homebrew. They offer three different yeast options, white labs hefe ale WLP300, wyeast bavarian wheat 3638 and safbrew t58. What would be the best yeast to use?

Szamatulski in Beer Captured has it with the 3638. It was a hit when I made it.

I'm still very new at this whole thing, I was guessing either the whitelabs or safebrew. I want as much banana and clove taste as possible.

Then go with the WLP300. Higher fermentation temp will bring out more of the fruit flavors (say, 70 degrees) some people like to subdue that a bit and ferment in the lower 60's, but that purely preference. I'd go with a liquid yeast though.

Isn't this the same brew timber brewed as his first brew last weekend? There was a lot of good info on that thread. I'll see if I can dig up that link for you.

Thanks for the info. I remember reading something before that said higher fermentation temperature increased the banana taste.

What would the actual taste difference be between the wyyeast and safbrew??

Back