All Grain and 8 inches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaBrewing

Reaction score
Did my fist all grain batch on Wednesday and right when I put the kettle on the burner is started snowing. We go about 8 inches overnight. Everything went great and I only missed my target O G by .001. I broke up my sparge water into 2 batches and the runoff was still well above 1.010. I was wondering if it would have been alright to sparge again even though I had already used what beertools said to use for the sparge water? Just boil a little longer to get to the 5.5gal volume?

Your sparge amounts are minimum water usage considering enzyme dilution and boil time. I personally don't think that using more water will necessarily hurt your brew but at the same time, I don't think you are going to extract enough sugar to make the extra boil time worthwhile. Either way, I would be interested to know what your results are. I never measure efficiency anymore, I just take what I get and that always makes good beer.

Back