Jerk !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
It's Memorial Day weekend, which means that it's time to fire up the smoker and jerk some chicken !
I've finally got my recipe tweaked (Thanks to Sly, a former co-worker who grew up in Jamaica !), and it's time to start chopping !

So you say you have a native-Jamaican-inspired jerk recipe but you don't let us in on it?

Who's the jerk now?

Ok, as long as you asked nicely...:rolleyes:

JERK SAUCE

3 - 4 Habaneros, ½ of them seeded, according to taste
2 tbsp. Mustard
1 Bunch Green Onions
2 Cloves Garlic
1 tsp. Allspice
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
½ tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp Ginger
½ tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
Juice of 3 - 4 Limes (about 3 tbsp. +)
2 tbsp. Oil
“ ” Fresh Rosemary
“ ” Thyme
“ ” Basil
2 tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
1/4 c. Tamarind Nectar
1/4 c. Dark Rum

Actually you've inspired me. I'll get the chicken marinating in this tonight. Do you marinate 1 or 2 days? And what do you serve it with? I'm thinking black beans and rice and fried plantains.

Actually you've inspired me. I'll get the chicken marinating in this tonight. Do you marinate 1 or 2 days? And what do you serve it with? I'm thinking black beans and rice and fried plantains.

I marinade it overnight, and usually serve it with black beans & rice and fried
plantains...and RUM. LOTS OF RUM ! Except when I'm cooking, of course. Then it's homebrew.

Tweak the peppers for everyone else, though. SWMBO and I love heat, and I usually cook it for us, but I HAVE had to tone it down for guests...damn wimps !
This year, I'm also doing shrimp and a tuna steak for SWMBO's son, who's a pescitarian. :eek:

I know what you mean about toning it down for the wimps. My girlfriend's tolerance is very low for spicy foods and when it gets to about where I begin tasting it, it's getting too hot for her. So I may use 2 habaneros and hope for the best! :)

I smoke it whenever possible, and prefer cherry or apple wood. I have to use hickory this year, though.
Traditionally, in Jamaica, it's smoked, so that's how I do it, but I HAVE done it on the grill at low and slow temps.

Wow! That looks/reads so good. I may have to get the ingredients tomorrow and make it as well. Thanks a ton for sharing it!

So I grilled these up yesterday and they came out really good! I do think that I'll cut down on the lime juice next time, maybe just one or two lime's worth, and I'm going to add a bit more oil, since the chicken stuck to the grill like crazy.

I'm glad you liked ! If you're grilling them, you might wanna oil the grill, instead of adding more to the bird.

Dude that looks similar to my Jerk recipe I've been tweaking alond and I might have to give it a go. I tried adding some molassess and it was not a good idea.
I'll go +1 on a mandadory 12hr plus marinade.
Where do you source the tamarind?
Also I think its best on dark(er) cuts, Legs, wings, and thighs.

Oh yeah, I used tamarind sauce, which comes in jars and is readily available at indian markets. Is that the same as tamarind nectar, or is tamarind nectar like a goya juice drink like the guava nectar or guanabana nectar and stuff?

Dude that looks similar to my Jerk recipe I've been tweaking alond and I might have to give it a go. I tried adding some molassess and it was not a good idea.
I'll go +1 on a mandadory 12hr plus marinade.
Where do you source the tamarind?
Also I think its best on dark(er) cuts, Legs, wings, and thighs.

Oh yeah, I used tamarind sauce, which comes in jars and is readily available at indian markets. Is that the same as tamarind nectar, or is tamarind nectar like a goya juice drink like the guava nectar or guanabana nectar and stuff?

I use Tamarind nectar, and it's always in the Hispanic aisle with all of the canned juices. I buy the Jumex brand. Rover, I'm sure you can find that around here.

Thanks!
I can actually find it right next door from my office, I just wanted to make sure it's the Hispanic stuff not the Indian. I'll think I'll have to whip up a batch for next weekend since my molassess version was way to sweet/burnt...

Latest posts

Back