WLP029 Kolsch Yeast - Slightly sour smell in my honey kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugAC

Reaction score
I brewed a honey kolsch saturday and fermented with WLP029. My fermentation temp is set at 68 and my temp probe is right up against the carboy. I used a yeast started, and had good fermentation yesterday. I opened the ferm freezer today, and i get a sour smell.

1) I've read that WLP029 can produce sulfer-ish smell and what some call "rhino farts" smell. Is this what they are talking about?

2) Also, i followed white labs website rec's for ferm temp, 66-68. Right now my temp controller is set for 66-68. Should i drop down my temps?

3) I've read here that lagering is helpful, to get rid of the sulfur smell, and clean up the brew. How long and what temps are recommended? If i lager, should i secondary my kolsch to get it off the yeast? And if not, will i get sufficient carbonation when bottling, or would i have to add some additional sugars other than the corn sugar i add for bottling? (wondering if the yeast die off at lagering temps

and

4) finally, i'm adding pure, straight from the bee, honey to the fermenter. I know there are several ways to add honey, my plan is too add it at peak fermenting time. I planned on adding either today or tomorrow. What would be your suggestion? I'm adding about 16 oz. of pure local bee honey.

ETA: 5) If i do have to secondary, would it be better to add the honey at this point? Or is adding at peak primary ferm. overrule a secondary addition of honey?

Back