Palate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klars

Reaction score
I require help, seems to be a consistent topic for me here.

I read about this taste, that taste - sour, DMS etc.

How can I learn what these tastes are? I read the descriptions and I think "Butterscotch" - like worthers candies?

I just cant put the words into my palate.

For instance talk about a sour taste, which I think I have now. What is the difference between a bitter or sour taste?

How can one learn these things, other than something like the link below, which is quite expensive.

http://www.flavoractiv.com/drinks/beers/

Think of foods that taste bitter like certain vegetation or anyfood maybe something that tastes bitter or sour that doesnt have sugar in it.
Then think of sour things like vinegar lemons tart things.
Really i try to just think of what it remides me of.
Also if you have not drank alot of craft beer you may not have a refined palate yet.
Beer tastes alot differnt now than it did before i was trying new ones.According to my tastebuds.
Check out rate beer or beer advocate look up your beer and see if you notice some of the tastes people are saying about them.

I think howtobrew.com has some good descriptions. Other than that, just experience. Sit down where it's quite and you have no noticeable aromas and your palate is clean.

Taste several sniffs and close your eyes and really focus on what you can smell.

Taste a sip and do the same thing.

Swirl the beer and repeat.

You'll probably be surprised at what you can sense when you put your mind to it.

Latest posts

Back