Wine aerator for wort aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Special Hops

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried one of these wine aerators for aerating the wort as it's coming out of the kettle and into the fermenter?

vinturi-wine-aerator.jpg

ref=dp_image_z_0

Seems like it would work pretty well. Anyone have any experience with this or reason not to try it?

I wouldn't use it because it would take forever. You'll probably get as much O2 if not more by dumping the wort out quickly and letting it splash around.

I wouldn't use it because it would take forever. You'll probably get as much O2 if not more by dumping the wort out quickly and letting it splash around.

That's what I used to do. But now I brew about 12 gallons at a time in a keggle and I can't just dump it quickly. It takes time to run out of the drain valve into the fermentor anyways. Might as well aerate as it goes into the fermentor.

Now that is worth trying.

If you search the DIY forum there's another venturi style aerator made from a yeast vial that has air filtering capability.

Cool? You know what the diameter is of this? I used a 1/4 bbl keg for fermentation and want to make sure can stick this through the opening?

I'm pretty sure it's designed to fit in the neck of a carboy, which is smaller than a sanke keg opening, so it should fit fine.

I use a Mix-Stir for my aeration. That's normally used in wine making, I believe. Thing works great.

Back