Stuck, but active fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluxgame

Reaction score
I've got a braggot fermenting in secondary right now, yeast is WLP001. Reasonably high gravity (original SG was ~1.090). Activity had stopped on my airlock a week ago, so I got ready to bottle it. Gravity at that point was a hair over 1.020. I figured that was probably a little high, so I stirred the yeast up a bit and gave it another couple of days. No SG change, so I pitched some Champagne yeast, thinking maybe I'd killed the yeast with alcohol levels. A short time later I had some healthy activity. That was 5 days ago. It's still bubbling every 15 seconds or so, but I just checked the SG and it's still ~1.020. It tastes pretty good and much drier than I would expect for the gravity reading I'm getting. Anyone have any theories as to what might be going on here? I'm a bit confused.

I've had a few beers stop at 1.020, I don't know that its a deal breaker, if you're sure the SG is staying there for several days, maybe the remaining sugars aren't easily convertable by the yeast. I know honey especially has very complex sugars and that could be a factor. BUT that being said, you may want to double check and make sure nothings wrong w/ your hydrometer, do a check w/ 60deg water and see that its reading 1.000 or near that...

I don't know what a braggot is, but I have made mead. It could take a month or two to ferment.

David

Back