Red Bull Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spludge

Reaction score
I have been wanting to do a lager but have not had a fridge for it. My work is getting rid of one of those Red Bull refrigerator dealies (pic below). Has anyone used this for a lager before, I have not had the chance to see if my carboy would fit yet but it looks big enough. Also it has a temp adjustment on the bottom so I should be able to dial in ferment temps well. Anyone done this and what adjustments or alterations had to be made?
normal_P1040902.jpg

dude grab that and if not, you can always sell it. Theres always some ******* who wants one of those. Plus you can always get a fridge control or use it for beer

It works!

Lagered five gallons of water last night! I can get it to sit right at 50 degrees and adjust up or down. I used a six gallon bucket because all carboys are full. Fits perfect with room for the airlock.

There is even room below the grate for running the blow off to a mason jar.

Looks like a lager this weekend. Anyone know if triple decoction is really necessary?

Edit: And any good lager recipes?

Thanks Dubbel! Always looking for props from a fellow goaltender.

That recipe looks good, do you have any advice for fermentation? Did you ferment at around 40 till primary was done and then diacytle rest and then continue lagering?

If it's water tight, there's a chance you can ferment a 10+ gallon batch directly in it. The plastic should be food grade. Dump some water into it, leave it there for a few days, and see if it tastes like plastic. That's not a definitive test, but if the water tastes clean and clear, I'd use it for a fermenter.

Thanks Dubbel! Always looking for props from a fellow goaltender.

That recipe looks good, do you have any advice for fermentation? Did you ferment at around 40 till primary was done and then diacytle rest and then continue lagering?

Goalies rock!

I fermented in my garage... Was about 40-50F in the winter (brewed in PA in January). Spurts with the brew belt assisted at times. I did diacetyl rest for 4 days in my basement bathroom... Around 60F in the winter. Then moved to 2ndary and lagered in kegerator at 40 for 6 weeks.

Oh snap, Yuri's involved, this is going to be a gyrating-steam infusing-instant freeze SOB fermentor.

At first I didn't think it would work because there is a small fan for circulation at the bottom. I found it can be easily removed and only a small hole for the power lead would have to be sealed. I think I might try this, first testing a very small amount of water and sealing if anything leaked.
My only concern is there is a very small scratch inside which could harbor some bacteria.

Next up... Dubbel's Maibock

I had one of those in college. To think we wasted it's potential by filling it w/ keystone light. Please don't flame me, I know better now :)

Back