Second racking: topping up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaeyama

Reaction score
Hi, I just did my 2nd racking after a 10 day sit on the lees, as recommended by my recipe book. HOWEVER, there was a *lot* of sediment, and I ended up having to compensate for about 3 litres of wine (3/4 of a gallon!). Mind you, my original wine level when going from primary to secondary was lower than I would have liked, but I was worried about blowing foam, so I gave it a bit of head room.

I compensated by adding several bags of marbles (which, surprisingly, didn't really seem to do much for me :p ) followed by a full 2 litres of water. :( I was really tempted to draw over some of the lees to avoid throwing so much away. But, I stopped myself. :p

My starting gravity when I made the must was between 1.110 and 1.120 (I was supposed to shoot for 1.100, but I had a hell of a time using my hydrometer on my first go of it), and prior to reracking earlier it was between 0.960 and 0.970. (By the way, is that about 16% ABV?) I didn't take another reading after adding all that water, so I assume it is down about 1% point after topping up.

My recipe book mentions that the recipes therein were designed to specifically allow for topping up with cold water, and so I shouldn't be worried about dilution. Plus, the recipes allow me to top up at every racking, but I didn't need to do so when I went from primary to secondary. So, even though I have added 2 litres this time around, some of that is a "freebie" since I didn't do it last time.

The thing that I am worried about though is, the book doesn't mention how much I would be expected to top up. I was hoping for 1/2 litre or so, not almost a gallon!! The wine is still a rich, dark peachy colour so perhaps I haven't overly diluted it yet.

My next racking is planned for 3 weeks from now. Next time I will have to be very careful when I re-rack. If possible, I do NOT want to top up next time around. However, I don't think I will be able to afford the truckload or so of marbles that I would need to avoid it.

Your thoughts, advice would be appreciated.

If your recipe specifies topping up with water, the "dilution" is probably figured into it, especially if the ABV was 16%! Topping up with water will help to make the wine less "hot" and probably didn't dilute the flavor much.

Usually after the first racking, I use a similar wine to top up (either commerical or homemade). For example, for my dandelion wine, I used pinot grigio. For my valpolicella kit, I used a commercial valpollicella. This way you aren't watering down your wine. I've used marbles, too, if there is only a tiny bit of headspace to fill.

Back