Serving keg at cellar temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did, but different beasts here. Real ale is cask conditioned with no extra oxygen. Mine is carbonated and constantly fed oxygen. The serving temps may be the same(mine is 52, 55 for real), but mine is hanging around and real ale should be consumed in 48h. I just want to see if anyone else is doing this with their kegged goodness.

Two options to mimic cask ale and avoid spoilage with your setup:
1. Set regulator VERY low, appx. 3-5 psi to maintain serving pressure and freshness. At cellar temp, the beer will only carb to very low volumes. You can also use shorter beverage line.
2. Work out a gravity feed system by tilting your corny on its side angled toward the lid, modifying the diptubes, and feeding very low CO2 to maintain freshness. There's a great thread with photos on the site somewhere.

Not according to CAMRA standards, but a very close approximation.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Home Brew Talk

So, I have my two IPA's set at 52 degrees and 16 PSI which equals about 2.3 volumes. I hopped it with 3 oz of hops about a week ago, and it tastes awesome! Will I succumb to spoilage?

Are you keeping continuous pressure on the kegs?

If so, they should be good for a looooong time.

If not, eventually you'll run out of pressure in the keg.

Back