question about transfering to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
ok i was just wondering .. after boil everything all the extracts and the hops and special grains and spices and after the wort is cool... now do you poor everything in the primary or do you leave the hot break and cold break and hops in the pot that you cooked everything up in?

if u do leave that stuff in the pot... what would happen if some of that hot/cold break and hops get into the primary?

I use a simple kitchen strainer with some help, I pour the wort into the primary through the strainer.I've had a few batches in the beginning that had every bit of junk in the primary I let it sit for 3 weeks then bottled.It tasted fine I wouldn't split hairs I'm sure it'll turn out great.

It doesn't really matter. Some folks strain, some pour everything in the primary fermenter. Either way will work fine but I usually use a metal strainer, especially if I used whole hops.

I use a simple kitchen strainer with some help, I pour the wort into the primary through the strainer.I've had a few batches in the beginning that had every bit of junk in the primary I let it sit for 3 weeks then bottled.It tasted fine I wouldn't split hairs I'm sure it'll turn out great.

ok so it is a good idea to get the stuff out but if some gets in to the primary it wont be a big deal... good to know thanks

also was wondering.... i know that when u add fruit to your beer you should use a secondary ... now i looked up a extract recipe for a raspberry wheat beer.... and it says to throw in 3 pounds or puree.. now shoudl this be throwing in the primary or the secondary.... i myself am guess here ..but would it be best to put it in the secondary so the yeast cell wont eat up most of the flavor from the sugar if i put it in the primary?

and if i do throw it in the secondary ..now with all that extra sugar would the yeast that is left in the beer, would that eat up that sugar and not worry about Conditioning and not clean up the bad after tastes?

I'm actually racking my first fruit beer this weekend.From what I've read do not add any fruit to the primary.Let the yeast do there job, 2 weeks take a reading then another in a day or 2.If fermentation seems complete then rack into the secondary. My batch calls for FROZEN cut strawberries freezing them kills off any bacteria.I'm sure there are a ton of fruit adding methods you just what to make sure your not adding some kind of contaminant to your brew. (Pesticides)

It is my understanding that fruit additions or dry hop additions are added after primary fermentation is complete so that the flavor will stay in the beer instead of being driven off by all the CO2 being released during the most active part of fermentation.

>>i know that when u add fruit to your beer you should use a secondary

>>>.From what I've read do not add any fruit to the primary

Why bother? Just add it to your primary after a week (to hopefully retain more flavor than if added at yeast pitching time), and let it sit another couple of weeks.
So what if there is some extra crap in your Trub?

>>..now with all that extra sugar would the yeast that is left in the beer, would that eat up that sugar and not worry about Conditioning and not clean up the bad after tastes?

What makes you think the yeast wont eat all that Fructose? They will go for that ahead of Maltose. There wont be a huge amount of fruit sugars left over. The Yeast will ferment the new sugar, unless the Alcohol level is very high and they are stressed.

>.and it says to throw in 3 pounds or puree.. now shoudl this be throwing in the primary or the secondary.... i myself am guess here ..but would it be best to put it in the secondary so the yeast cell wont eat up most of the flavor from the sugar if i put it in the primary?

Add it after several days / a week, when primary fermentation is mostly complete

I wouldn't secondary the beer unless you want it a little more clear, and even then, it really isn't necessary. Add the fruit around day 14 or later. The later you add it, the longer you will have to wait since there will be some more fermentation going on, but you don't want to add it too early either. The thing to be careful with in using puree' is that it could color your beer. I made a raspberry back when I first started. I used fruit and ended up with pink beer and more trub to clean up. How to fix that, I don't know. Whole raspberry is probably better than anything crushed, ground, with juice, etc...

Since then, I'm fine with artificial flavorings when it comes to fruit beers.

Back