Beer for dogs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthBeer

Reaction score
Non-alcoholic beer for dogs. :rolleyes:

It's not technically beer, but it seems to be popular from what the report says. :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
n1014003977_30086048_6142.jpg

For the record, we do not let her drink that much. She just gets to lick the last couple drops out of the bottle once we've poured it into glasses for ourselves.

My dog loves beer, for sure. After a long hike or bike ride, after she's drank enough plain water, I reward her by pouring ~1/3 of a can or bottle into her water bowl (mixed with ~half bowl of water). She doesn't stop for a breath until that bowl is drained.

How old does a dog have to be to drink beer? Also, is that in dog years?

Guys and gals, hops are bad for dogs. Read the sticky: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/dangers-hops-your-pets-108935/

Stick to taking jagermeister shots with your mutts :mug:
From that link:

My discussions with many veterinary toxicologists and personal research due to the frequency of the issue popping up have lead to the conclusion that hops toxicity is extremely rare with only a handful of cases reported nation-wide. Many veterinarians are not even aware that hops are a possible trigger for this condition due to its rarity. There is only one currently published journal article available to veterinarians that even address this topic:

I've had a couple of dogs that really liked beer but none of mine now like it.

I wouldn't worry about hops, but alcohol is definitely bad for your dog. However, less than a half a beer is fine. My dog loves beer. He also loves coffee, as I found out when I left a cup within his reach. He got every last drop, and then proceeded to snooze peacefully, so I guess it didn't do much to him.

n7822991_34799447_9717.jpg

Isn't he handsome?

My dad used to sit out in the shed with the dog bottling beer. He'd start the siphon and splash a bit in a glass for himself and a bit into a clean ashtray for the dog. He and that dog would come inside well lit. That dog was the funniest case of bed-spins you ever did see!

I wouldn't worry about hops, but alcohol is definitely bad for your dog. However, less than a half a beer is fine. My dog loves beer. He also loves coffee, as I found out when I left a cup within his reach. He got every last drop, and then proceeded to snooze peacefully, so I guess it didn't do much to him.

My girlfriend frets about the alcohol thing for the dog. Her argument is that it's toxic to dogs. "Well, yeah. It's toxic to humans too. Otherwise, you wouldn't get drunk off it."

Our dog also managed to drink a cup of coffee, but we figured she was more after the mounds of cream and sugar my girlfriend puts in hers. She set it down, did some chores, and came back certain that she'd still had coffee left. Then she smelled coffee-breath on the dog.

She did not snooze peacefully. She got really nervous and needed to go to the bathroom a lot.

My cats hate beer. I put it on their paws so they'll lick it off and they look at me like they want to kill me.

This dog beer thing sounds dumb...it's just like giving your dog broth. I'm not sure why anyone would pay for that when you get plenty of leftovers and broth/drippings from cooking...

It sounds like what they might be doing is just taking wort and adding something like bouillon cubes for the "meat flavoring" they mention.

People will do crazy things for their pets though. One time I saw a filtered water dispenser at a pet store. The dog might still prefer the toilet even after spending alot on filtered water. :)

I was a little tipsy last night so decided that it wouldb e a good idea to try to give my cat some beer. He would not drink it. Lame.

Although to give him credit, it was not served in the appropriate glass so that might have been it

edit: to the previous post. we have a filtered water dispensor and automatic feeders for the cats. Its mostly just due my laziness - don't have to change water more than once a week

It sounds like what they might be doing is just taking wort and adding something like bouillon cubes for the "meat flavoring" they mention.

People will do crazy things for their pets though. One time I saw a filtered water dispenser at a pet store. The dog might still prefer the toilet even after spending alot on filtered water. :)

That's even worse, raising your dogs glucose levels by letting it drink wort...

My dog got some of my leftover beer at bottling time and drank it all up, no more than 1-2 ounces. She loved it.

My granddad gave his dog a bit of beer everytime he cracked one open. As soon as the dog heard the opening of a new can, he'd come running. my granddad would pour some in a dish and the dog would drink it in no time. Many times the dog got drunk and stumbled around. It wouldn't be uncommon for my granddad to tip back 12-18 beers in one day so the dog got its share.

Oh, and the dog lived a long time too, happy life.

Guys and gals, hops are bad for dogs. Read the sticky: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/dangers-hops-your-pets-108935/

Stick to taking jagermeister shots with your mutts :mug:

Uncooked hops are bad for dogs...

My dog (chow chow/pit bull mix) loves pabst... its her fav. I only give it to her if it spills on the floor or carpet. sometimes she will lick the top of my glass... My other dog is a wine drinker my mom lays on the couch with a glass of wine in her hand and she trys to take some.

But yea my chow/pit absolutly loves pabst. She drinks my beer too...

"Cooked" or "uncooked" has nothing to do with it. In fact, the main problem is with hops that have been used. It's the sweet wort in the hops that the dogs are going for.

Please, if you love your dog, don't give your dog beer. Dogs are not humans (DUH!) and their metabolism is different. Alcohol is very bad for dogs.

A good friend of mine has a cat named Hobbs that LOVES BMC beer. Have a little on the rim of a can...gone in seconds. Drinking from a bottle? You get the "I can has a cap full?" look until you give it to him. He only gets 2 cap fulls at a time at max but that kitty LOVES his BMC.

I offered all kinds of different cap fulls of various beers and he will only drink BMC.

As anyone with a lab can probably tell you, beer is far from the worst thing my dogs have ingested.
I consider my pups to be an integrated part of the brewing process. They get the wort left in the deadzone in my mashtun (a cup or two at most) as well as a portion of the spent grain for dog biscuits.
Only one of my dogs actually enjoys finished beer and the most she gets is the spillage from bottling after 1 too many homebrews on my part.

"Cooked" or "uncooked" has nothing to do with it. In fact, the main problem is with hops that have been used. It's the sweet wort in the hops that the dogs are going for.

Please, if you love your dog, don't give your dog beer. Dogs are not humans (DUH!) and their metabolism is different. Alcohol is very bad for dogs.

Got any facts to back up that claim?

Here's one...

Question:
Is beer bad for dogs? Even if it is small amounts?
A: Any alcohol is toxic to dogs.
I would not recommend giving your dog any alcohol. Like people, their liver can only tolerate so many toxins. Dogs and other animals get drunk just like we do. The biggest risk is central nervous system and respiratory depression and aspiration. Hypothermia, hypoglycemia, acidosis, and electrolyte imbalances can also occur.

Most dogs will vomit with any alcohol consumption. However, the vomiting can become severe and cause serious dehydration and may require hospitalization. Any dog that has consumed alcohol and is having trouble walking or is vomiting should be hospitalized.
~Dr. Page Wages
Oberlin Animal Hospital

Here's one...

Question:
Is beer bad for dogs? Even if it is small amounts?
A: Any alcohol is toxic to dogs.
I would not recommend giving your dog any alcohol. Like people, their liver can only tolerate so many toxins. Dogs and other animals get drunk just like we do. The biggest risk is central nervous system and respiratory depression and aspiration. Hypothermia, hypoglycemia, acidosis, and electrolyte imbalances can also occur.

Most dogs will vomit with any alcohol consumption. However, the vomiting can become severe and cause serious dehydration and may require hospitalization. Any dog that has consumed alcohol and is having trouble walking or is vomiting should be hospitalized.
~Dr. Page Wages
Oberlin Animal Hospital

So basically, they are the same as humans? They are smaller in size so they can tolerate a little less?

That is a mind boggling breakthrough...

I will be around a few dogs this weekend. I'm going to give each one a few ounces of beer and see how many of them vomit. Cause I just don't believe that "most" dogs will vomit after a small amount of beer. (don't worry, it will probably be BMC...)

And one vet's personal opinion is not the scientific facts I was looking for.

Nope, no scientific facts that I could find in a 30 second web search. But I'm inclined to believe someone who works with animals every day. Do what you like....I know that giving beer to my dogs isn't worth the potential problems. You make your own decision.

Nope, no scientific facts that I could find in a 30 second web search. But I'm inclined to believe someone who works with animals every day. Do what you like....I know that giving beer to my dogs isn't worth the potential problems. You make your own decision.

I give my dog beer for the taste. I DO NOT give my dog beer to get drunk. She would like the top of my beer bottle or lick the carpet if a beer spilled. I give here a little sip of beer during celebrations.

I care for my animals better then I know most people do. I make sure they eat the right food for them. I take them for long walks. They don't get anything unhealthy. But like humans sometimes its ok to indulge in the bad things just a little bit.

Anybody have a dog that'll do shots?

I have seen one. My friend at college had a stray come up to him at his parking lot of his apartment. He fostered it while notifying the shelters, animal control, etc to try and locat the owner. On never came forth so he adopted it.

Long story short, the dog got into some unattended taquilla, ended up projectile diarrheaing on the TV stand which dribbled into someones shoes. Dog never vomited, was carefully rehydrated and was fine the next day...quite a champ!

I have seen one. My friend at college had a stray come up to him at his parking lot of his apartment. He fostered it while notifying the shelters, animal control, etc to try and locat the owner. On never came forth so he adopted it.

Long story short, the dog got into some unattended taquilla, ended up projectile diarrheaing on the TV stand which dribbled into someones shoes. Dog never vomited, was carefully rehydrated and was fine the next day...quite a champ!

the dog behaved better than most do after tequilla.

My GSD loves beer, prefers stouts/porters but will drink a blonde. My Heeler sneezes anytime she smells anything with alcohol (even flat beer.)

Back