Blackboard on Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
I remember reading about people spraying blackboard paint on their kegs a while back and using it as the label. After reading through the old threads I wanted to know how the paint has held up after repeated use, wash, rinse, repeat cycles of the keg. It is staying in place, chipping off...etc? I have a can laying around and I am debating making the fridge door a blackboard and/or using it on my kegs as well.
Thanks. :mug:

We have a door that goes from the kitchen to the garage. I painted the top half with chalkboard paint 2 years ago. We use it for the shopping list and occasionally for To Do items. It is also a hit during parties--- I leave it blank and leave out lots of chalk. Usually starts out with funny stuff and by the end of the night someone has started in with the stick figure karma sutra.

For all the use it gets (weekly wipedowns) it shows some wear in the form of the 'high points' being a little white. If you think back to grade school chalkboards, it looks like those did--- a little worn with some white 'patina'. This is a high traffic door with heavy use of the board.

I've subsequently painted the ends of the cabinets with the same stuff. Great for 'you got a phone call' messages.

Mine was not spray paint. It's rustoleum wall paint. Used a roller to apply it.

YMMV but I like it and will do it again.

Whiteboard stuff could be awesome on a keg. I wonder how dry erase reacts to condensation.

Dry erase white is a little sterile to fit into many people's home decor. I wonder if it comes in more muted shades of white.

WOW!!! I have been hoping that they made dry erase paint, but also been too busy/lazy to look!!! Nice! Right there with ChshreCat on chalk mess...

I tick off a lot of traditionalists by using a dry-erase for keeping score next to my dart board, but it's a superior method.

I like the idea of using dry erase for darts. They sell 4x8 sheets of the stuff at Home Despot near the wood wall paneling. I've considered using it as a wall material in my home office but the color palette we used didn't lend itself to the bright, harsh white that dry erase offers.

I like the idea of using dry erase for darts. They sell 4x8 sheets of the stuff at Home Despot near the wood wall paneling. I've considered using it as a wall material in my home office but the color palette we used didn't lend itself to the bright, harsh white that dry erase offers.

Does your artwork match you furniture?

the chaulk board paint holds up, but the chalk writing...not as much as I'd hoped.
its workable for keg storage/aging outside the keg but any condensation pretty much lifts the chalk off inside the keg.

You can just use a sharpie and then clean it off with alcohol.

Or, better yet, search on fleaBay for neon markers; I picked up a set of them in various colors for marking my kegs. They are intended as glass markers, and are waterproof to a large degree. They clean up easily with any ammonia-based window cleaner.

I also bought a glass board at Ikea (intended to be used with dry-erase markers) that I use them on.

Or, better yet, search on fleaBay for neon markers; I picked up a set of them in various colors for marking my kegs. They are intended as glass markers, and are waterproof to a large degree. They clean up easily with any ammonia-based window cleaner.

I also bought a glass board at Ikea (intended to be used with dry-erase markers) that I use them on.

How well do those work on chalk boards? Are they just for glass and other smooth surfaces?

Back