Too early to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCoffeeandBourbon

Reaction score
My recipe was pretty straight forward, 5 gallons of apple juice, 1 pound of dextrose and some Montracht Champagne yeast. It has been fermenting for a month now and stupidly I did not take an OG reading. I took one tonight and am at 1.000 +/- 0.0018 for temperature.

Anyway, can I bottle this now? Also, if I add some priming sugar will I have bottle bombs? The little voice in my head is telling me to wait. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

I've experienced champagne yeasts down to .994.

Let it go another week if you can. If not, 1.000 is pretty low any way.

Priming, when done properly, will not produce bottle bombs/grenades.

Grenades happen when someone is too impatient and bottles before fermentation is complete then adds priming sugar on top of that.

I'd say go for it. ;)

Thanks homebrewer_99! I think I will bottle it. I am going to prime with only 5 oz of dextrose so hope all goes well. This is my first cider and I really would like to not mess things up!

5 oz is about normal for most beers.

What kind of bottles are you using? Wine/beer?

The heavier the better especially if you are using a champagne yeast, but 5 oz of priming sugar shouldn't produce too much inside pressure.

I use 5 oz when bottling Hefe Weizens and never had a grenade on any of them. But then again, I use German 1/2 liter bottles exclusively...no 12 oz paper thin bottles for me. ;)

Back