My first year... HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerArchitect54

Reaction score
I’ve got two hop plants going.. They started out the season great growing like weeds.. However over the last several weeks they have slowed and started to look bad.. Leafs have several holes in them and a few vines look brownish.. I have a friend who planted hers a week or two later.. Hers are growing mad and are very bushy and already has a few hops started.. I’m not sure what the problem is... It has rained a lot thus I have not water a ton but am wondering if I should be watering more or even adding ferts...

Thanks in advance for your help... I was really hoping to see some buds soon.....

Are they in containers? If they are they could be root bound and\or need fert. Even if they are in the ground they might need fert. Especially if you havent fertilized at all this year.

Dont worry about a few holes in the leaves but if you start seeing leaves that look like a machine gun hit it, then look into the bugs.

They are in 5 Gal. buck. as Im in the market for a home... Will be in ground next season... I have not fert. them at all this season... What should I use and how often should I be watering them... Thanks Again!

How tall are they? A 5 gal bucket is pretty small but will be OK for a first year I guess. Does the bucket have good drainage? I water mine (in 25 gal containers) every night because it's been in the mid to high 80s every day.

As for fert, I like the chemical route. A handful of some 10-10-10 or similar once a month up until I started getting cones. I also put the miracle gro plant food mixed with water in a spray bottle and hit them good every week or so. ALso, I kept them side dressed with some cow manure.

This late in the season I'm not sure what you should do. Maybe give it a little fert and see what happens?

I did drill alot of holes in the 5 Gal. Buckets and have not watered then a ton with all the rain we have gotten.. I think I will try to fert. then and see what happens... It cant hurt.. I was not expecting much this year being the first year and all but my co-worker who gave them to me already has cones... I want to see something anything.... I will start to water them everyother couple of days I guss and try to fert. them a little... Thanks alot for your help and please keep the comments comming... Oh and on is about 12-14 feet tall while the other is about 10 feet... I only gave them the one vine to climb each... My co-worker took a 10 foot tall wooden lattice and they are going nuts....

Back