Yikes Frozen Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I have 3 packs of Wyeast that have been frozen. I think it has been like this for a few months. Am I screwed? Or can I thaw them out and will they live? As always hank you!

Tom

The only way to tell is to to thaw them out and make a starter. That's the only way to check yeast viability anyway.

It's not a good idea to freeze yeast without glycerine to help protect the cell walls...but like I said you won't know til you try...

I would thaw it out, smack it, if the pack expands even a little, I would them make a starter, and then see..if it turned out ok, you could make a small ale, like a pale, then wash the yeast and jar it....that way you could get some use out of it....and then do it to all of them if you wanted to bank the yeast.

Well, you could use a hemacytometer and a microscope. But that's kind of expensive unless you already have access to the equipment.

Yeah...well....It's doubtful many of us have access to that....

So let me clarify, "That's the only way most of us poor homebrewers who don't have access to a hemacytometer and a microscope can use to check yeast viability anyway."

So whats a hemacytometer, anyway?

:mug:

I thought I would give everyone an update on this lesson. First all 3 were frozen SOLID. 2 where Wyeast IIPA special strains from spring and were Activator packs. The last was a Wyeast 1058 propegator pack. I made a 600ml starter for the 2 Activator packs. Within 24 hours I had a great starter. I swirled them often. Pitched both into a Ruination Clone and an IIPA I made myself. Both were bubbling within hours after pitching. The 1058 has bubbled very slow. But after 36hrs. I believe I could pitch this but have no time to brew until this weekend at which time I think this yeast will be done. But not to bad at all. A very good lesson learned. Don't freeze the yeast!!! Thanks to all of you for the help!

Back